Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 67 is painted nordic blue with a medium blue interior. I'm not crazy about the nordic blue and whoever repainted it did a horrible job so it's something I'm looking to have re-done in next next few months. My question to everyone is how far from blue can I go given that my interior is blue? I'm sure enough people have repainted their cat that someone has changed the exterior substantially different from what it came with. At worst I'd do a different shade of blue but figured I'd see if anyone went over the top with a color change. Thanks for the input!

Ben

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
We have an original 1967 dealership color/upholstery guide book here, and it has a section for recommended color combinations. For blue interior, it recommends Onyx, Nordic Blue, Tiffany Blue, Caspian Blue, Polar White, and Glacier Blue exterior colors. Oddly enough, it does not recommend it with Trafalgar Blue, I'm guessing because the different shades of blue would clash. Long story short, your options are mostly limited to shades of blue or white (even if you decide to stray from factory colors).

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what I was thinking. Polar white looks good, but the vinyl top is white and I'm guessing the two shades wouldn't work together. I'll have to check out those other shades. Thanks Andrew!

Ben

·
Registered
126 Posts
You can call me a fan of White also. Here is a picture of my 1970 white paint on white vinyl top and blue interior as it was original equipped from Mercury. May give you an idea of what the 1967 would look like with a white vinyl top, white paint and blue interior.

DSC00586_0037.jpg

·
Registered
389 Posts
wish i didnt have parchment interior....i'd love to paint my car polar white but cant see it with white interior....

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Man, polar white looks really good! Does anyone know where I can find samples of the other colors so I can see the different shades of blue?

Ben

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
You´ll find paint samples at a paint shop, it´s best too see colors on a sample/chip in real life at a paintshop, no point at checking it by looking at pictures, as pictures will not show how the color really is

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
wish i didnt have parchment interior....i'd love to paint my car polar white but cant see it with white interior....
My car is Polar White with Parchment interior... looks pretty good to me! However, it does have a black vinyl roof, so that provides some contrast. Also, my carpeting and dash pad are black.

Man, polar white looks really good! Does anyone know where I can find samples of the other colors so I can see the different shades of blue?

Ben
I could probably take some pictures of the color chips in the book, but they will look a little different under different lighting conditions. Could give you a rough idea though. You may also be able to do an image search on Google (images.google.com) for the various colors. Keep in mind you could get the same colors on other Mercurys.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My car is Polar White with Parchment interior... looks pretty good to me! However, it does have a black vinyl roof, so that provides some contrast. Also, my carpeting and dash pad are black.

I could probably take some pictures of the color chips in the book, but they will look a little different under different lighting conditions. Could give you a rough idea though. You may also be able to do an image search on Google (images.google.com) for the various colors. Keep in mind you could get the same colors on other Mercurys.

Thanks, but I'm going to do the google search for pictures to get a better idea of what I want now that I know what my options are. The glacier blue looks awesome too. It's funny how this is something I planned on doing in the next 6 months but now that I'm looking at pictures I want to do it now. Thanks for all the input.

Ben

·
Registered
2,680 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts

post up a couple of pics of that bad boy....im going with a black vinyl top too....and i had black carpet and will be going back with new black carpet, and i have a new black dash pad already......i wanna see how it all looks together....

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
our 67 gt is glacier blue with a polar white top(factory tu-tone)--the color looks real rith and you could play with carpet colors----aaa make a carpet that is a spot-on match with the glacier blue--looks great and really sets off the darker seats
doctordesoto

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I checked out the colors last night and I'm starting to like the tiffany blue. It's a little lighter than the glacier blue and it looks awesome. There was a 67 at the nationals last month that was that color. I was glad I had a couple pics of it when I went through my pictures to get a better idea of what it looks like on the car.

Ben

1 - 14 of 14 Posts