export brace. Do I need to have the car on jack stands
when I remove the old one? Same deal when I install
the new one?
Any tips would be welcome....

Jim

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Nope, just remove the old arms and drop the brace in.
If you have a Monte Carlo bar it usually goes in easier if you jack the front of the car up from the center (under the rad support) so that the shock towers and side walls "open" a little. You would want to do this with the Export Bar off.

·
Registered
337 Posts
jnorwich said:
Hi,

Had a question on how to install a new one piece
export brace. Do I need to have the car on jack stands
when I remove the old one? Same deal when I install
the new one?
Any tips would be welcome....

Jim
You may have to put the front end on jack stands for a few hours to relax the shock towers before you install the export brace... it depends on how much tower flex you already have. Some peopl e have had to leave their car up for several days.

Also, some folks that have problems have had luck starting the brace/firewall with extra-long bolts. Once it's positioned right, replace the long bolts one at a time with the correct bolts. Just a tip in case you have problems....

·
Premium Member
4,820 Posts
Export Brace removal

I wanted to remove the export brace to get it out of the way while I change out the valve covers and remove the intake manifold. I will then spruce up the brace with some new paint, and replace it.

Will it hurt the car to have the brace out over the weekend while I work on the car? The car will not be driven, maybe backed in and out of the garage a couple times. There is about an inch threshhold the car would travel over. Would there be too much flex too risk this?

I want to do this but dont want to mess up the support, or have an unsafe condition.

As usual, pointers are appreciated.

·
Premium Member
4,106 Posts
You...

You will be fine. Unless your car is badly rusted. I have seen cars that have been driven many months with out the braces. I do not recomend that though. Take before and after pictures and post them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts