Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Contributing Member
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just tried to install a curved MC Bar in my 67 and found that it is approx 1/2" too wide. Also, just tried the one piece export brace and it doesn't fit either. If I had another 1/2" it would. ( no sarcastic comments). Both were from Mustangs Unlimited. The monte carlo bar measures 40" and I have 39 1/2". I know my baby has never been in an accident and don't think I can stretch the engine compartment to fit. Anyone ever run into this problem? Royce, you guru, any ideas? Thanks

Steve:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

·
Premium Member
4,105 Posts
Steve,
First thing to do is jack your car up off the ground. Place the jack under the cros member under the engine. Let is sit that way for a little while then put on the export brace. It should now fit. The monte carlo bar should also now fit. I have only used straght bars so you may have a bad bar. I'll edit it the lingth of my straght bar in a couple minites.
edit
OK, My bar is 40" and fit in place on the 70 Mach 1 I have in my garage.. Let us know what happens when you jack your car up.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Not from experience....

The Monte Carlo bar problem. Well i heard that over the years your shock towers give a little/sag inwards!! Reading previous posts the way around it is jack up the front of the car and put it on the cross member for a good few hours. This obviously relieves the tension from the weight of the engine on the shock towers and your lost half inch will miraculously reappear!! :D IF you want to see the posts yourself search the forums for "sagging".

Hope this helps!!

Stu - :D

Or what Badcatt said!! Oooops!! 2 replies at once!! :D

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
sensi,
what part of RI are you in? i lived in Coventry up until may of last year...
Neal is right you need to jack up the front end and let the towers sit n relax. The towers come in when the car is on the ground when there up they flex outwards.Let the car sit for about a hour or so n they should bolt right in w/ no problems. If you called their tech line(why do that you got us cougar freaks here lol..) they would probably tell you the same exact thing as well.
thanks
pat

·
Contributing Member
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all. Car is jacked up and gonna have a drink and wait. I'm in Tiverton. Where are you now? Later

Steve:p:

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
steve,
i`m in st augustine florida now
thanks
pat

·
Contributing Member
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Waiting!...Here's a pic.

Attachments

·
Contributing Member
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Middy...yes, why?

Steve

·
Contributing Member
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
tick, tick, tick, tick, tick. Been 3 hours now. Still no luck. Will keep all informed.

Sensei

·
Registered
23 Posts
Sensei69 said:
Middy...yes, why?

Steve
I have not yet begun to do alot of work to my cougar. I was wondering if you had a web site or a pic gallery of the work you have done as you go along. I have seen a couple of web pages where people are showing each step as they are going along and I think it is really cool. I wil probably do it when I really get to work on my car, and was wondering if you have done the same.

Thanks, Middy.

·
Contributing Member
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Middy, I have a bunch of pics, but they're all over the place. When I get them organized, I'll send them to you.

Steve

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
steve,
any luck ? overnight shouldve done it
thanks
pat

·
Registered
23 Posts
Sensei69 said:
Middy, I have a bunch of pics, but they're all over the place. When I get them organized, I'll send them to you.

Steve

Cool! That would be awesome. I love to see peopoles projects come together. It gives me soooo much hope.:D For when I start mine.:D

·
Contributing Member
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OK folks. Status update....Cougar been jacked up for 1 1/2 days. I've gained a 1/4 of an inch and got the export brace to fit. As far as the MC bar, it atill doesn't fit. Any more ideas????

Steve:cry:

·
11,000 Posts
I have had to use a ratchet style bumper jack to spread the towers apart, these cars fold together in the front over hundreds of thousands of miles. This is one of those times extreme force may be needed.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts