Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
9" good. Drum E-brake good.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Why not just upgrade to the explorer rearend. You could do the whole swap and have a cuople hundred left over for the price of either of those. Not only that, but you would get a 31 spline 8.8 posi with 3.55/3.73/4.10 gears. 31 spline 8.8's are every bit as sturdy as the 9" until you get past the 1000lb-ft torque zone.

I looked at www.car-part.com in your area and within 40 miles of 37062 zip code you can get any of those ratios from several salvage yards complete with discs for $200 (some were $150).

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Not Explorer/Mustang; but the "drum-in-hat" parking brake on my '02 F150 4x4 (just slightly larger rotors) does very well in "sticking" the truck -and any trailer that might be on the hitch- exactly where it sat when the e-brake pedal was pushed to the firewall. Get back in and attempt to "blast off" without releasing the brake; and one might think it's parked against a concrete wall.

A scary thing: other than the 8-lug rotor hats, the same components are used on my '08 F250SD "company truck"; which after I loaded all my daily [email protected], weighs right at 7800lbs with a half a tank of gas.. I just KNEW my employer got the rock-bottom cheapest Fords they could find!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts