Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, set the points, set the timing, have not set the carb yet. However the exhausts have spewed out some nice pure black gunky oil, this may have been while we were setting the timing.
Going to post the pic then go check if she is still doing it, did'nt think to do it.....................

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well started her and apart from the puddle of oil which shot out shen she started she is not spewing it out anymore. Could bad carb setting cause that.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
It may be set a bit rich. nothing alarmig though. the black liquid looks like condensate and carbon, heating and cooling of the exhaust system may cause condensate form in there. Black smoke out the pipes is a sign of a rich air/fuel ratio. hope this helps.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yes, cos thats what I thought and its now 2.15am and S does not want to help me set the carb, and some guys in pristine condition street rods are not going to be too happy if they are behind me and I am shoot oil all over their lovely clean cars

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Once everything warms up it shouldn't do that. You should be OK after a drive...

Bruce

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Now that the show is over I am going to go get some new points and condensor on Tuesday, and am going to do the whole timing thing all over again, these point have probably not been changed in quite a while, if I had the money I would go for the electronic ignition but have to lay off spending on Ruby for awhile, big amounts that is, the equivalent to a petronix would set me back about $110, is that about what you guys pay for one?

·
Registered
648 Posts
68 KAT has MSD ignition with an MSD distributor and I still get the 'black gunk'. I asked about it a while ago and I believe Royce said that it was probably fuel additives (here in the US we use ethanol with the petrol) and condensation. It happens every time she's cold. Once she's warmed up, she's fine...

Ken

·
Banned
4,754 Posts
My 390 xr7 does same. I am running a 429 4300 600 cfm. Its rich for some reason on cold that I have not fully esolved on my cat and always leaves a big blk cloud first time I hit the pedal to metal after daily driving. Maybe as the engines were designed for 450s that 600 is too much? I recommend the duraspark ign from any old Ford for cheaper than pert and still Ford parts.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Count me in as well...my 390 does this every cold start, and leaves a telltale mark in the driveway. Even after tuneups, timing changes, and dinking w/ the carb. Even when it's been determined to be as dialed in as possible, it's still there. No big deal, unless it continues to spit after its warm. Then you might have something to think about...my2cents. -B

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Yeah... Me too... nothing to worry 'bout..... iy's the nature of the beast

Don

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Hmmmmm...I don't get that gunk...unless my baby has been sitting for a LONG time between starts...I've also got the MSD ignition and coil...and LOOOOOOVE IT!! I had a pertronix before the MSD, and it was a GREAT improvement over the points also, but I Loooooooove my MSD...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts