Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 351c 2v I want to fully redo my exhaust, it currently has a single with 2.25 inch pipes with a flowmaster super 44 and the stock headers. It sounds great but i want it louder. What i want to do first is add full length headers what should I get? Then I'll be getting dual exhaust and i want it to be loud and sounding good I'm thinking about getting flowmaster super 44s mufflers again or the super 10s but Idk how those sound? Then should I get 2.5 inch pipes from the headers back or would that effect my performance ? Or what if i put 2.25 inch pipes and then 2.5 inch tailpipes after the mufflers, which would be better? Also I'll pbly add a 4 barrel carberator in due time also so which headers do I get, I've seen they make specific ones for the 2v and 4v Cleveland.

·
Premium Member
2,364 Posts
I recommend that you run the same size pipe (2.5") from the headers back. The Super 44 American Thunder is a good choice. I'll leave the header question to someone who knows the Cleveland engines.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
I have used Headman headers in the passed and had no problems at all. It was in a 71 cougar and once the car was up on the raps, the headers went up and bolted in about 20 minutes. If you are keeping the 2V heads, go with 2v headers.

·
Registered
90 Posts
How much do you want to spend? Do you want performance or sound as a priority? You could make it loud easy and cheap.... just look at what the Honda types do. Did you say that you have factory headers? How is that? What year is your cat?

If you would like to put together an exhaust that will help your engine breathe better a good set of headers (Hedman, Hooker) with 2.5 inch pipes and flow master mufflers (whatever they call the two chambers today) will improve your power a little and have a great sound.

If you just want loud sound get glasspack muffler or something like that. Headers are for improving exhaust flow and do not "make the exhaust loud". If you just want sound I recommend you forget headers and stick with factory manifolds. Headers are a headache. I know there will be some that disagree with that statement but headers have always brought me trouble. Melted starter cables, cooked starters, exhaust leaks, it goes on. They are worth it but don't bother if you just want to sound cool, they won't be the difference.

Matt

·
Registered
321 Posts
Depends on the budget but I would agree, keep it 2.5 all the way. X pipe and 40 series Flowmasters or Spintechs if you like the sound. Ford Powertrain Applications (FPA) or Hooker make headers but I think they only make them in 4v flanges anymore, try the 335 series Forums or Network54. Lots of Cleve parts for sale on there, may be able to find the headers with 2v flanges..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok cool I found some hooker headers off summit and I'll do the 2.5 all the way through with the flowmasters thanks guys

1 - 6 of 6 Posts