Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
68 KAT is going to have a lot of mechanical work performed over the winter. One of the ideas I am kicking around is to replace the stock cast iron exhaust manifolds with some aftermarket headers. The last time I drove her (put in the leak-free Demon 625 carb) she had a definate increase in back pressure (blew the pass. side exhaust donut) and power.

So, does anyone have any big block header suggestions?

(390, Edelbrock Performer RPM, mild cam, 10:1 pistons, 2.5 in exhaust with flowmasters, PS, PB, A/C)

Ken

·
11,000 Posts
Headers

The factory went to a steel exhaust donut to prevent blowouts. For the same reason gaskets are not needed on 289, 302, 351W, 390, 390GT, 427 or 428CJ Cougars between exhaust manifold and heads.

I have Hooker Super Comp headers on my green GTE. They have been trouble free. Be prepared to spend a whole day installing the bolts to attach them to the head.

If you are running the 390GT stock heads the Hooker header flange does not mate up correctly and it is difficult to prevent leaks. For that application FPA makes a specific set of headers. Perhaps someone here knows the web address for FPA?

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As far as I know, they are not the 390 GT heads, they are the 390 2V heads (same interchange part number in the Hollander book). Is there a difference???

I'll check the casting numbers just to make sure...is there an easy identifier???

Ken

·
11,000 Posts
There's no difference, both have casting # C8AE-H. The Hooker header does not line up correctly on this head although the bolt holes do align. X code 390-2V and S code 390GT-4V engines are identical except intake manifold, carb and camshaft.

·
Premium Member
4,106 Posts
I have a set of FPAs on my 69 390 Cougar, I like the quality. But sence I don't have the car all put back together yet I can't tell you how they preform. They do bolt on easier then Hookers. I put them on and installed the engine myself.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts