Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone.
I am looking at exhaust set-ups for my 68 w/ 302. Have made some engine mods and I want to get an exhaust setup that breathes (currently stock single). I'm going to use flowtech headers. I am thinking of the flowmaster American Thunder header back kit or one of those "transverse" set ups you see in the mustangs unlimited catalog. With the flowmaster, the mufflers are the 2 chamber variety. Exactly how loud are we talking here. I do a lot of highway driving (were talking 3-500 miles a week!). I am changinging to an AOD from my C4 to keep the RPM's down which should help with the noise a little (and one day facilitate a really tall rear end too). Also, has anyone used either of these setups? Anything special I need to be aware of? I was concerned about the flowmaster kit because it's also for the mustang and I figured they might exit a little short of the valence. No biggie there though, I'll get some tips. But anyone know of anything else? Also, is this a driveway job. We do have a sawzall and impact tools, but no welder.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Kirk,

I'm not an expert, and these are opinions, but these are some things I've experienced.

You really only need the two mufflers, the transverse is for a third in front of the rear axle. Just go with the quieter two 3-chambered Flo's. The 2-chambers will get to you after awhile, they drone like a loud Cesna. With the AOD you won't have to go with tall gearing, it will bog if you do, searching for the overdive when the gears are too tall.

The pipes will be too short, Cougars have a longer wheelbase by 3" but any competent muffler shop can install them for the same amount of money as a catalog item. If you don't have a mandrel pipe bending machine it'll be next to impossible to do it yourself, especially if you use aftermarket headers that are longer than the stock exhaust manifolds. The shop can custom cut and fit them.

My .02

Tim B
1969 XR7 428 CJR convertible
http://hometown.aol.com/timbrands/Cougar.htm

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The rear end is the 3.00 open unit. See any problems with retaining that?

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
The 3.00s should be good for cruising as they are. I have those in my Mark III and they are real easy to live with.

What some people do is put in AOD and install 3.70-4.11s. That way they have the off the line advantage and the higher cruising range of overdrive where it's the equivilant of 2.80 or so at high way speeds. It's a win/win situation. You could do the AOD with 3.00s but you'll be downshifting when you need to accelerate, that, or else you'll spend a lot of time in 3rd anyway.

Now if you put in 3.50 or higher with your C4 it will drone at highway speeds. That's what I have in my 428CJ/C6. It's right at the hairy edge of annoying to me LOL. And that's with quieter Dynomax Bulletts.

I had 2 chamber Flomasters in my 90 5.0 Mustang convertible with a 5 speed and 3.08s. Too loud for a daily driver, even with overdrive 5th. It was always setting off car alarms when I started it ;-) It sounded great though! 5th gear was gutless. Saleen went to 3.55s as an improvement from the factory.

I'm sure there are some people on here who have done the AOD. It's time for them to speak up!

Tim B
1969 XR7 428 CJR convertible
http://hometown.aol.com/timbrands/Cougar.html

1 - 4 of 4 Posts