Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
Not me, not ever. Out the back, with turn downs behind the valance.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Yeah I like them out the back also . I don't want the cruising drone of exhaust on the side .

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
If you're building a Trans-Am tribute type car or something with a NASCAR influence, then I find it perfectly acceptable. Otherwise, it just looks like someone took the easy way out and made it constantly look unfinished.

·
Registered
245 Posts
It doesn't matter to me where the pipes stop...as long as I can't see them. My biggest pet peeve on cars with dual exhaust is seeing the tips...they are never symetrical (obsessive compulsive).

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had a 72 camaro when I was younger where the pipes dumped right behind the rear tires pointing down towards the street. It really sounded good. It was a ground shaker. I also had a 73 charger that exited in front of the tires. Thrush header mufflers. It was loud and sounded good. It was fine for a 16 year old but maybe not so good for me now. Well........maybe yes. lol.

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
I have had the 90 degree bends, and the ones that go all the way out the back.
I would say it depends on what you are going for, how much 'performance' you put in the [email protected] inch pipe out the sides VS 2 1/2 inch pipe all the way out the back, or some folks even run three inch pipe these days. They also find out that it is too loud, and go back to a 2 1/2 inch pipe.
My preference is glass packs or magnaflow, 2 1/2 inch pipe....

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
It doesn't matter to me where the pipes stop...as long as I can't see them. My biggest pet peeve on cars with dual exhaust is seeing the tips...they are never symetrical (obsessive compulsive).
Almost never you mean. You can see mine (a little) and they are symmetrical (obsessive compulsive) :buck:

Like most, I don't generally dig in front of the rear tires exit (but I do suppose it could be done tastefully).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts