Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an exhaust rattle that I'm trying to figure out. I'm pretty sure the exhaust pipes are hitting the cross piece that's about midway back underneath, pretty much dead center of the car. The piece is about 1.5 feet square with 6 maybe 1/2 inch bolts holding it on. My question is, can I remove this part and drive around to see if that's where my rattle is without screwing something up? It looks like it's just a protective piece, but I want to make sure it's not something that aligns the frame or something and I also want to make sure the bolt holes will line up when I try to put it back on.

As another question, if this is my rattle problem and I can't figure out how to fix it myself, can I just leave the part off without any issue? I can take a picture and post it if needed. Thanks in advance for the help!

Ben

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Ben,

I think you can remove the convertible seat reinforcement plate (what it is) temporarily to see if that where your problems lies. I would not, however, leave it off indefinitely as Ford put it there for a reason.

Regards,

Bob

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool, thanks Bob! Hopefully removing it temporarily will solve my rattle issue. It's one of those rattles that only happens at low idle when it's in gear which makes it impossible for me to check it out myself. Noises like that drive me crazy so I'll be taking it off the next chance I get.

Ben

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
I had a rattle in my Charger R/t. Turned out to be a loose baffle in the muffler. After awhile what was left of it blew out the tail pipe. Problem solved ... LOL

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That could be my problem too. It's somewhere in that area since the piece I want to remove is a few inches before the mufflers. Noises like that drive me crazy. I know I'll never get rid of them all especially in a vert, but I think I'm down to 3 I'm going to focus on.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts