Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this might sound dumb but oh well.

I'm at college, and my car is at home.... Does anyone know what the diameter of the exhaust pipes on a 68 cougar standard coupe with a 302 is?
I'd measure the pipes but my car is about 200 miles away fome here at this time. I'm thinking about buying 2 flowmaster 40 series mufflers for my car. And i'm pretty sure that the inlet and outlet of the mufflers have to be a little bit bigger than the diameter of the pipes so it the mufflers will go on.

And has anyone put this series on and did you have any problems with them?

-thanks

David

·
11,000 Posts
Your muffler shop will make adapters to neck down the inlet and outlet, usually there is no extra charge for adapters like this.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok, so say i bought 2 flowmasters on ebay.... could i just take them to a muffler shop and have them out them on ...for some price probably

·
11,000 Posts
I took my Cougar to the muffler shop and they installed the Flowmaster 40's for $30. In my case the mufflers are 2 1/2" in and out, the 428 CJ headpipe is 2 1/2" so that was no problem. The tailpipes are 2" so they made some little adapters.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok, awesome, thats pretty much what i was wondering about was if a muffler shop would install them or not. Thanks for responding so quickly-

Do they sound good?

-Dave

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
I own a Garage and we install all kinds of exhaust and I WOULDNT OWN ANYTHING BUT FLOWMASTERS!!! There's lots of copy cat wanna be's but NONE of them sound as good as flowmasters do. I have them on everything including my daily truck. :D
Scott

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
They sound great. I have them on my 67 cougar and my F150 and I love the sound...

Bruce

·
Read Only
241 Posts
i want to put flowmasters on my 67 390 gt .i have hooker super comp headers on it . what would be the best sounding flowmaster muffler to use. catmando

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Go with the 3 chamber unless you like it loud. I have 2 chambers on my 67 390 and they sound great but after your on the highway for a while your ears will be ringing...
I'm going with 3 chambers on the 70 351C...

Bruce

·
Registered
614 Posts
I gotta say, I really like the 70 series. Sedate, til you romp on it.
The only problem with them is the length. 22" is hard to cram under anything but a truck or station wagon. I had them under a '79 LTD...sounded really mellow at idle. Classic rumble, under a not-so-classic car.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I' m pretty sure i'm going to get the 40 delta flow series. they are supposedly quieter inside and still loud outside of the car. Hopefully they'll be one more reason for people too stare at my car.

Oh yeah, 68.95 each at this place in flint, MI i called...so i guess its $146.17 total for two with tax. Ebay has them for around 60 bucks...but there's shipping also to add. Has anyone gotten a deal on flowmasters?

-Dave

1 - 12 of 12 Posts