Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Contributing Member
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK folks, let's talk exhaust. Want to do this once. Leanning towards stock exhaust manifolds due to some header mounting possible problems, and am wondering if I got a pair that someone glass beaded and the painted with 1500 degree paint, will they eventually just rust on a weekend driver? Or go with either a header or exhaust that's ceramic or even jet hot coated? How do these types hold up? Thanks

Steve

·
Registered
51 Posts
1500 degree paint

I have tried the paint and alot depends on the prep. No rust,low
humidity, and free of oil left on your hands after cleaning. I have a buddy with a mustang,his were done about 6 years ago,just now starting to show signs of light rust. Don't know if this is any help.

tim

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Buy the heat resistant stuff for manifolds that Eastwood sells. On manifolds thin it a little and brush it on good and bake it like it says and it will last a LONG time...
Scott

·
Contributing Member
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What about if the manifold already have the 1500 degree paint? Can I put the Eastwood stuff over it?

Steve

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
I don't know so much about painting the cast iron manifolds, but my buddies and I used to paint our headers with Eastwood's hi-temp stainless steel paint. They still look good after 15 years! Of course, these are not exactly daily drivers, but that is still a heck of a long time for the paint to still be looking that good on the exhaust! Nowadays we have them hot ceramic coated.

Eastwood also has hi-heat paint colors that more closely resemble cast iron, aluminum, etc. I highly reccomend them!

By the way, have your manifolds or headers sandblasted first to ensure good paint adhesion!

Milo

1 - 5 of 5 Posts