Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been reading about exhaust manifold resto and I would like to know what has worked best. I have read old threads here and on other sites. It seems Eastwood high-temp coating looks good but not sure how long it will last. I also read of people using Jet-Hot, but at much higher cost. I also found a site by a Jerry MacNeish who does a re-skinning process? I am sure there are tons of other options as well. I am looking for an original look. The manifolds I have are in good shape with very minor discoloration. Any thoughts or experiences would be great.

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
I've used Eastwood hi-temp manifold paint and VHT hi-temp manifold paint and I much prefer the VHT. I used it on my old 68 and it still looked great after 8 years and 15K miles. I blasted the manifolds prior to painting. The VHT was only about $8 per can at the parts store.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I used the VHT spray from Summit racing. New manifolds, cleaned thoroughly with brake cleaner & lacquer thinner first. Then I followed the inst. to put them through two controlled heat cycles (Mama's oven) before installing. It's only been about 8 months & 1,000 miles, but they look good so far.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
jet-hot is the best permanent solution, but I have had pretty good luck going with the slow heat cylces and high temp paint. VHT seemed to work good that way, never tried Eastwoods. If you go that route you just have to plan to do it every now and then to keep it fresh looking. (You have to follow the heat cycle everytime though)

·
11,000 Posts
I've used the Eastwood stainless steel paint on the green GT-E. It held up for 7 - 8 years. I recently had them re - coated with ceramic (like Jet - Hot).

·
Registered
391 Posts
In my experience, the Eastwood stuff will last about 8-10 years.

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Ditto to Royce's experience with Eastwood's hi-temp stainless coating. I had done my old Camaro's headers, and they still looked like new five years later. My buddy's Boss 429 headers were done at the same time, and now it has been 20+ years, but only >3000 miles. Still look good.

Eastwood also has other high-temp finishes colors, like cast iron... I'd try that on cast iron manifolds since the color is darker...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts