Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The shop manual says that you can pull the heads off with the exhaust manifold still attached to them. Has anyone actually done this and been successful with it?

Any other suggestions on getting the heads off would be great.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I guess you have an FE...LOL. Headers or stock manifold? I have a hell of a time getting my headers on and off on my FE. If you have headers I don't think its possible to remove the heads without disconnecting the headers. Disconnecting the headers takes (when I did it) removing the carb, unbolting the engine mounts and picking the engine up with a hoist.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea - FE w/stock manifold. I would prefer to not pull the engine - but if I get to a point where unbolting it and a hoist are necessary - that thing is coming all the way out.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Yep. I've pulled mine a couple times. No fun. Hopefully this next install will be the last. Had to pull it for a blown head gasket which turned into a full rebuild.

Yea - FE w/stock manifold. I would prefer to not pull the engine - but if I get to a point where unbolting it and a hoist are necessary - that thing is coming all the way out.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
You better have strong arms! It aint light...LOL Should be doable

1 - 5 of 5 Posts