Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got my engine back from the machine shop today and it looks great. I still have a lot of assembly work to do. I am going to stick with the stock exhaust manifolds instead of headers. I have sandblasted the manifolds and they are ready for finishing. Should I paint them with high temp exhaust paint or put a header wrap on them or finish them with something else? Ceramic or "Jet Hot" coating is too expensive for me right now. Anyone have any suggestions? My Cougar is a 69 XR7 convertible with a 351W (M-code) and a toploader 4 speed. Thanks.

·
Registered
8,194 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
I used the VHT high temp spray paint from Summit. I've put about 2K miles on the car since then & the manifolds still look good. I did follow the inst. to heat the manifols up throug three heat cycles prior to installing them, not sure it was necessary, but it was worth the effort to me.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
how did you heat the manifolds prior to installing? From the factory these were raw metal weren't they?

·
Registered
97 Posts
I used a strong solvent to clean the manifolds, then after spraying I did the first two heat cycles in the kitchen oven (while Mama was out). The third cycle was 600deg. & I did that in the gas grill. The silver color changed to a dull bronze, but they haven't discolored or rusted, so I'm happy.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all for the great info. I think I will try the silver coating from Eastwood. I'll let you know in a few weeks how it turns out.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
I had mine powder coated was not real expensive and still look good they have a high temp powder coating

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
por 15 high temp cast iron---sandblast first then a thin coat with a foam brush---let them dry a couple days--you can final cure on the engine but i take them to the powdercoater and let them hang in the oven for a couple hours--cheap and easy
doctordesoto

1 - 8 of 8 Posts