Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I need a little help with a simple problem. I just bought headers for my 306. Anyhow, I dont know where I should have the exhaust run. I wanted them to go out in front of the rear tires, but my taction bars are there. I noticed that some of the cougars have notches at the bottom of the rear pannel, but mine are squared of, so im not sure if it would look right if the exhaust came down low to clear the panel. I wanna make sure that I continue to set off the alarms on those Pontiac Grand Prix's, so I need to keep that in mind too. Anyhow, any advice is useful. Thanks!!!

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
out back

All the way back. turn downs just before the rear valance.
install an "H" pipe (balace pipe) just after the collectors.
if it is possible

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Exhaust that exits before the rear tires is illegal (in Canada anyways). While at a stop light, the exhaust fumes can enter the car thru the side windows and get you real stoned, or your kids/passengers in the back seat, not safe. OK, that said, most stock exhaust turn down before the rear valance angled toward the 1/4 pointing to the ground. Also a sleeper look with duals, just make sure it clears the 1/4's and points to the ground. An H-pipe or X-pipe will help out lower grunt, and sound nicer to boot. Any good exhaust shop will build them to your specs and place them where you want it.
Im building an X-pipe for my car, and will be using header collectors before and after the X for easy removal so I dont have to drop the whole exhaust to change tranny or what ever. Good luck. If you plan on building up the motor at all, go with 2 1/2 pipe, and good flowing mufflers. Im using Flowtech Raptors, and they sound nice and are pretty cheap.

Rick

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
i have full pipes in my 69. the pipes go all the way out back under the valance and point straight out. im still waiting on that 70 and if that comes through i want to get the exhaust exiting just in front of the rear tires. not like dumps but with the tip poking out under the rocker panel. err Trans Am / Cobra R style. i know Spintech makes some mufflers like that and Borla does too. i dont like the tips on the Borla though. i have 2 chamber Flowmasters on mine with 2.5 inch pipes. it sounds nice to me and if i had a mic id put a wav of it on here so you all can hear it.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Back pressure

On the street Lower Back Pressure will kill low end torque.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts