Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had this hitch 15 or more years that was pulled off of a parts Cougar. I had never seen one for a Couger before, so I kept it. It would be neat find if it were a dealer installed item, but I'm thinking it was probably just aftermarket stuff. Anyone seen one of these?

This is a close up of the Cougar designation (I have a wider shot available if interested) >

Attachments

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
had one onthe back of number 69000014 that was a parts car. i sent it away with the car though now wish i hdnt i could of use it on the ranchero. DOOHH!

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
I've got a hitch on the 72, never thought about where it came from, would be interesting to have a look and see what car it was meant for.

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
I have one that was on my Fairlane, I took it off , but still have it. I welds to the frame, and bolts to the bumper, very neat I guess, but HEAVY...

rick

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
The Matchbox '68 Cougar that I have (with no engine) has a hitch... :)

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
AlphaCat still has most of the hitch it had when I got it. It bolts between the rear frame rails at the back of the gas tank, and then to the rear valance. The other part bolted through the rear valence to the frame mount, and then to the bottom of the rear bumper. Not the strongest hitch, but probably enough for a utility trailer or some such. When I had done the bodywork on the car back in '83, I put on a NOS rear valence (without the holes for the hitch) and had the holes in the bumper filled when I had it rechromed. I suppose I should remove the rest of the hitch now, eh?

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I had a look in my 67 Accessories and Optional Equipment pamphlet and a trailer hitch was a dealer installed option. Specifically it indicates... " Excellent for towing light trailer, camping unit or small watercraft...designed to lessen strain of normal loads. (Ask your Cougar dealer about the unique Ford Motor Company wiring harness). Dealer Installed. Basic Part No. 19D520 "

·
Registered
488 Posts
hitches

i believe that is an aftermarket hitch. i am pretty sure the original has a 67 part number stamped on it as it was designed for 67 and continued for 68. the 69/70 has a 69 part number. here is a picture of one i have sitting here. i have had a dozen 69/70 and only 1 67/8 and i sold that one years ago (yes i wish i had it now!)

Attachments

·
Banned
4,754 Posts
and mine

Catz call me Cat Ray Z but I hadda add my hitch to this post as well,lol. This is from my 390 aqua/white xr7 ragcat with 107,000 originals.

·
Banned
4,754 Posts
now theres no way t fill holes correctly so I am going to fill the holes with the trailer hitch. As you can see mine utilizes holes behind valance and next pix will show inside trunk below the tank filler. It has no part # or oval so I'm kinda diassapointed there but does fit w/o damage to frame bumper or valance.

·
Banned
4,754 Posts
i wanna Ford part# :(

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Yea, I had one as well. The original owner that I bought my 69 convert. from had Valley Towing and Hitch put his on in 1969. Valley was a major manufacturer of towing hitches for many makes of Ford and Mercury vehicles. No damage to the car except a few holes behind bumper ect. as well. I sold it a while back as well and don't miss it. They are a novelity item at best as I don't thing anyone of us would drive around with a heavy hitch attached to our nice cougars nor would we tow a trailer. Interesting for someone to put together a hitch collection for Cougars showing the different types for the early years. later catfans.

·
Banned
4,754 Posts
Hey Brad I resemble your avatar,lol. I am going to apply the trailer hitch but its unlikely it will see any real use. Cat also has the remote trunk release. I'd like the trunk luggage rack as well.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts