Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got told today, my cat's being delayed again. It appears that the old style points/rotor distributor was burning up point sets. The shop's master mechanic predicted an average of three month's to a set of points:cry: . Therefore, they're gonna hold my car even longer to install a new electronic ignition system in it:lol2: Yeah, less headaches with my clevland. On the down side, I was going to put tires (tyres for 72cat) on it on Friday. If everything goes right, I'm hoping to have it back....... within the week.:rolleyes: I hate waiting.

Who can relate?

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
I suggest that you go to http://www.summit.com and just order the petronix electronic ignition kit for 80 bucks. best mod you can do and best of all its invisible. Sorry to say I dont have a single set of points in any of my cars and run the petronix in them all and i love it.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I can relate. I have been tinkering and trying to get my car to be reliable for 3 years. Changed motors, bodywork, paint, vinyl top, and lots and lots of misc. parts. She has been mostly a big expensive metal cat bed for some of my cats. Sometimes I think I will never get her running right. But I know in the end it will be worth it.
Rick

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Redone my points 7 times in 13,000 miles!

·
Registered
763 Posts
eliminatorguy said:
go electronic, and drive it tomorrow
or this afternoon!!!

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
i have had plenty of them days. but go with it day by day n it`ll pay off in the end...
thanks
pat

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
oh yeah!!1

today I did. I got a new headlight switch for the Fairlane last week, and put it in today, and went to fire up the car (didn't mean it literally), but guess what, it went up in smoke. My harness went. least it didnt get my engine harness, that I saw. ARGGGG:angryfi:

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Tires - tyres, come on guys I am not bad, anyways it you guys that can't spell thing correctly, not me. Color - colour, favorite - favourite, miles - kilometres, inches - centimetres, gallon - litre, etc etc :)

·
Registered
588 Posts
Buy a Pertronix. Summit, Autokrafters, whoever can get it to you. I used to burn a set of points every time I punched it and stayed in it. New distributor, various brands of points, caps, and wires, nothing helped. One Pertronix ignitor later and it has been around 80k of trouble free miles (and counting).

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
72cat-
Just so you know, I associate the English spelling with motorcycles, especially Imports (Harleys are really the only Major American Bike). It also lets me keep what I'm writing about separate. So, you're not the only one. Also, got a quote of $340 for a decent (60K BFG subname) for all five tires. Cleo's runningP205/75R14's on 4 wheels and a spare, or rather, will be.

Atleast the tires weren't that bad. Then I still have to get it aligned.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
NoKitten

No Indian is the other American made motorcyle a lot of people forget about.

I got Firestone P225/70/14's (a little fatter and taller)

:D

Oh, thank you, thank you, thank you for the license plate frame! It is awesome! :ylsup:

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
I got BFG's 225/50/15 and 235/50/15, a little fatter and a little shorter, oh damn, that could describe me.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
American Bikes

Indian and Excelsior (I think that's the other one) went broke for over 10 years each, also an Indian or an Excelsior now cost more than a Cobra (SVT). Harley nearly went broke, but AMF saved their skins long enough that HArley is the oldest CONTINUING Bike company in America. 100 years, same as Ford (Another reason to like Harleys)

·
Registered
763 Posts
Harley??? let's kick some a** (see pic), Yes this is me on my bike, smoking a tire.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Harley????

Nice butt!:D

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I hope so for your sake.

·
Registered
763 Posts
To ensure you cougar kitty, the smoke comes from the tire and not from my butt.

Thanx anyway for the typical female reply....

1 - 20 of 22 Posts