Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've now got one that has NO DSO on the door tag. Pretty interesting. Kevin Marti emailed this to me:

Ford did not record a DSO for your particular vehicle. It was a mistake when the data was entered by them. Because the dealer that sold your car started with a 52, it means your DSO was 52, Los Angeles. We are not authorized to alter the Ford database, but you can be assured your DSO was 52. You have an interesting story about the level of computer sophisication that existed in the 1960s (that is didn't exist!).

There isn't a DSO listed on the left side of the report either(in the data plate info section)

This is re. the new white '68, btw..

Anybody ever seen this happen to their car?

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
That is a new one on me.

To date, I have only seen blank paint codes and one blank axle code.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Shall we refer to the car as "The Phamtom" ?

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
Not a blank code, but mine does have a 6F1 trim code that no one has ever been able to explain to me. Some kind of "an anomaly" is the only explanation so far. K.M. didn't have any answers for me either. Oh well.... mierda sucede

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
Not a blank code, but mine does have a 61F trim code that no one has ever been able to explain to me. Some kind of "an anomaly" is the only explanation so far. K.M. didn't have any answers for me either. Oh well.... mierda sucede
I think you meant your trim code is 6F1.

Marti shows a few 5A1's on 1969 Eliminators too.

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
Yeah, that's the ticket. My typing finger doesn't always cooperate, it got broken when I was punched in the nose once.

I think you meant your trim code is 6F1.

Marti shows a few 5A1's on 1969 Eliminators too.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Regarding the 6F1 trim code: it denotes a trim set deviation. According to the 1967 Lincoln Mercury specifications booklet: "a two-digit number indicated the type of trim and trim color. If, due to unavailability or other difficulties in production, a particular trim set is not intended for service (minor deviation from intended trim), the warranty plate code will be followed with a numerical designation. For example: 2B1, 2B2. If the trim set is serviced directly, the warranty plate code will bear an alphabetical suffix. For example: 2BA, 2BB."

I understand the differences for the first type code would be minor things like welting size. My '69 Mark III has a trim code of 2GA, which probably denotes the fact that either (a) the interior wood was oak (vs. "East Indian Rosewood"), or that it had headrests.

·
Registered
39 Posts
You also have to take into account that simple typographical or clerical errors may be involved, either with the original report or when Marti ran the report. My Marti report states that my Eliminator was originally sold here in Bowling Green, KY at "Duick" LM, while I know for a fact it was "Quick" LM. I know because I've lived here for most my life and remember the dealership. Not a huge deal, but just shows how a small mistake can change things, maybe dramatically, especially if it states the wrong codes or production #'s involved.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts