Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Esmerelda is consigned to the Mecum auction in Indianapolis next month. I re-restored her with fresh paint, chrome and engine compartment. She's a real hottie now!

She has a very early time slot on Saturday morning which I wasn't wild about, but it was the best I could do on short notice. If you're coming to the auction, please track me down. There's a 70 Eliminator advertised to be there. Does anyone know whose it is?

·
Contributing Member
1,011 Posts
Pictures, please post pictures.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
http://mecumauctions.com/

Love that 56 F100!

Why you selling? Got an itch for something else? I might go to the one in Des Moines this year just to watch mostly - it's to close to the Good Guys show though...?

·
Registered
442 Posts
Beautiful car, there is a 68 GTE listed on Friday. Good luck. SalD

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
There's a 70 Eliminator advertised to be there. Does anyone know whose it is?
This one;

'70 w/ 428 (Ram-Air), auto. Competition green, houndstooth interior. To be sold at Mecum's auction, Indianapolis, IN, May 15-20.
http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/carsforsale/mercury/cougar/1369203.html?refer=rss
http://www.mecum.com/auctions/lot_detail.cfm?CFGRIDKEY=SC0512-128302

I believe this is the magazine article for the car as well;
http://www.mustangandfords.com/featuredvehicles/mercury/mdmp_1105_1970_mercury_cougar_eliminator/index.html

Good luck on Esmerelda! Post a link to your auction slot when you get a chance so we can all check it out and drool :)

·
Contributing Member
797 Posts
Randy, what are you looking to get for her?

Steve

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have her little sister now, and I prefer a small-block for driving. I don't have a name for her yet, but she's a nicer car than Esmerelda, with all-original sheet metal, and has never been apart. I think she's the only Cougar I have ever had where everything works and didn't need to be repaired.

Esmerelda is super nice after her recent makeover, but that big lump up front makes her nose-heavy in the turns, and her value makes it tough to drive her hard and risk an accident. Besides, I can only own so many cars, and there are other cars out there to buy and drive.

I think she should make between $70 and $80K.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Esmerelda is consigned to the Mecum auction in Indianapolis next month. I re-restored her with fresh paint, chrome and engine compartment. She's a real hottie now!

She has a very early time slot on Saturday morning which I wasn't wild about, but it was the best I could do on short notice. If you're coming to the auction, please track me down. There's a 70 Eliminator advertised to be there. Does anyone know whose it is?
What year is Esmerelda? I can only find 2 Cougars at the Mecum site for the auction. 1 is an Eliminator and another is a '68 GTE.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
What year is Esmerelda? I can only find 2 Cougars at the Mecum site for the auction. 1 is an Eliminator and another is a '68 GTE.
That's what I found as well, I don't think it is listed (or not yet anyway).

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I promise I will post pictures of the finished car. She is in Indianapolis, I am in DC, and pictures are not that easy.

If you want a whiff, check out www.hillyersmustang.com. There's a link to a YouTube video of Esmerelda there as well. It's not very extensive, but it is a start. I have a professional photographer doing an album of her for me before she (hopefully) sells. I will post a link to that as well when I have it.

Be careful that you are looking at Esmerelda, not her little sister that is outwardly identical and the feature of a couple of "Before" videos.

·
Registered
563 Posts
I promise I will post pictures of the finished car. She is in Indianapolis, I am in DC, and pictures are not that easy.

If you want a whiff, check out www.hillyersmustang.com. There's a link to a YouTube video of Esmerelda there as well. It's not very extensive, but it is a start. I have a professional photographer doing an album of her for me before she (hopefully) sells. I will post a link to that as well when I have it.

Be careful that you are looking at Esmerelda, not her little sister that is outwardly identical and the feature of a couple of "Before" videos.
What year is Esmerelda, '69 or '70? Hardtop or Vert? There are 2 different Cougars featured at www.hillyersmustang.com

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Esmerelda is the green '69 428CJ XR7 vert.

The blue '70 428CJ XR7 vert was a car I had done some years ago and sold. Her "Name" was Marylin, and she was a four-speed.

·
Registered
491 Posts
you're in good company on Saturday. A 69 Yenko Nova, a 69 Yenko Camaro, and 3 or 4 Superbirds......

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Whoaaa momma! That is the cat I just bought!! Well, in afew years I think.... Lol wow, is that sharp. Good luck and make us proud!

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
I've seen Esmerelda in person. Need I say, she's nice?!!?

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Actually, after posting the picture, I realized that picture is pre-re-restoration. For those of you who weren't following the saga (soap opera) of Esmerelda, I took the car to auction as you see in this picture about four years ago and had a very disappointing result. So, being the good Soldier that I am, I fell back, regrouped, and am trying again.

The re-restoration included new paint, chrome and a kick-ass engine compartment detailing. I found out that 1969 Cobra Jet engine compartments are a LOT easier to finish off than 1970 engine compartments. My last attempt was on Marylin (1970 four speed CJ) and that took three years just to round up all the parts.

Esmerelda now has a date-coded engine compartment, complete with smog. The body panels are much better aligned, and the underside has been properly detailed. There were a couple components, like the axel housing and engine crossmember, that were so badly pitted that I had to replace them. It's the old story: where do you stop? I got the car back from paint and assembly, and the front grille that looked fine before now looked horrible. So, off it comes and away for rechrome. A couple grand later, I have a dazzling front grille. Then, you look at the engine and what was great before now looks like you forgot to open the hood when you bought it. And on and on it goes.

I am hoping for a huge result that will fill my bank account (and pay all the bills!) and float the model to a higher level all the way around. However, I wound up with a lousy time slot (0930 Saturday morning, Lot S12) so that may not happen. If the car wasn't already in Indianapolis, I probably would not have bothered with this auction at Mecum but would have gone straight to eBay. If the auction doesn't meet reserve, you'll see it this summer on eBay.

Esmerelda's little sister is done and I am having a blast driving her around. The M-Code small block is a lot easier to drive, and the car is not so expensive as to risk financial calamity in case of a fender bender or worse.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I never could get an answer why they never put up the photos. Anyway, Saturday is the big day in Indianapolis. Hoping for a world record! (Hey, I can dream, can't I?)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts