Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have developed a new problem as of late. It used to only raise it ugly head on the highway but now seems to want to be a part of my everyday life, at least when I have the cougar out for a ride. It is a 68 XR7 with a 302 C4 Auto. The speedo likes to be a little on the indecicive side while going down the road. It will bounce around between 40 and 60 mph when I am going somewhere in that range and as I go faster the "bounce range" seems to get a little larger. I am thinking it is possibly the cable from the transmission to the speedo but don't know for sure. It did it occationally before I put on the new heads, headers and intake, carb and exhaust but now seems to do it all the time. There is nothing touching the cable that I can see, maybe all that new power has it intimidated and it is afraid to commit to a speed now. I have also changed the wheels to the 15"X7 that are available from wccc and mounted a set of radial BFG's on all 4 corners. I imagine the speedo will be off a little because of the change but with all the bouncing that it is doing, who knows how fast I am going....
Charlie

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
You can try greasing the cable or you can purchase a new cable. If you have a portable GPS most will also give you an accurate speed. I had to use one for a while when I installed the 3.55 gears but had not yet changed the speedo gear.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
If greasing the cable does not help (good to try though because it is not too hard to do), the more likely candidate is the speedo itself. I had to change mine out for another for the same reason, don't know if there is a procedure for cleaning the mechanism that would fix a problematic unit. The speedo is magnetically coupled and I understand that sometimes dirt or debris (possibly magnetic and that is how it gets/stays in the works) gets between the drum (what's connected to the needle) and the hub (what's connected to the cable) and can cause the jumpy behavior you are seeing.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks will give the grease a try, can't hurt.. My car looks a lot like your C7X7, Polar White without the vinyl top and tires look about the same width. I had one just like it back in high school ('75-'76) really missed it so bought another. The speedo is weird, seems to be fine at low speeds, gets really weird at about 40-60mph and settles back down once it gets up close to 100mph. Hope it is just the cable, working in the dash is not one of my favorite things....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts