Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so i have to rebuild my 351W. My mechanical experience is limited and i live in an apartment so space and equipment is an issue also!! I have a quote for $1400 for a machine shop to rebuild my engine..... On the links page i have searched a Ford Engine website and i can pick up a 1969 351W fully rebiult:-

- New Manley valves - New Elgin valve springs and keepers - New Badger pistons - New Hastings molly rings - New Dynagear timing gears and Durabond cam bearings - New Dynagear timing gears and chain - New Elgin lifters, push rods, rockers, balls and nuts - New Dynagear oil pump - New FelPro gaskets - Cylinder heads are pressure checked - Diamond honed valve guides - Three angle cut valve seats - All head surfaces are broached - Blocks are bored with deck plates, cylinder walls are diamond honed - Crankshafts are ground and polished for .002 clearance - Camshafts are ground to O.E.M. specifications, hardened and polished - Connecting rods are sized to .002 clearance

for around $1000. What it doesn't come with i can get off of my existing engine!! So what do you think?? Your opinions please, would you go for a local rebuild or a new rebuild?? I need to check with my machine shop to see if their rebuild includes all this and what else if anything?? Obviously i will have to pay someone to hoist my engine out and put the other one in!! Your opinions are appreciated!!!
Many Thanks

Stu - :D

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
What about the warranty? What's it cover? How long and how many miles?

Bruce

·
Registered
220 Posts
I say go with the reman, because if it is the one I've looked at you can get a 429 or a 460 for less than $1300. And you get a 7 year/70,000 mile warranty.

·
Premium Member
1,915 Posts
Machine work is expensive, if you have the heads and block magnafluxed (check for cracks)It get's pricy if there are extra problems.
Make sure the reman engine has a warranty.
Where in So Cal are you?
I've got a lift and stand.

·
11,000 Posts
See if you can upgrade the pistons. Badger is cheap junk. Also, don't expect to be able to put a performance cam in this motor without changing valve springs, retainers etc.

For that low price don't expect much.

·
Registered
889 Posts
You can buy my 69 351 M-code for $500.00 you get everything radiator,shroud,motor and FMX tranny.Then you will have a spare!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts