Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi everyone this is my first time sending out a request but here it goes. I have a 70 xr7 and it has a 351 clevland and i'm going to put a 429 into her. my question is if anyone knows where i can get some engine and tranny mounts for the swap out. the trannies are a fmx to the c6 so if anyone knows please contact me. thanks a bunch.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
There are a couple of places that sell kits for the conversion. The most popular is probably Crites Restoration at http://critesrestoration.com/mustang.htm. Beware that the 429/460 swap is not a straight swap like a 390/428 would be and can get rather involved and $$$.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the site info. now i can remove that clevland with 411,000 miles (and evntually restore it) so i can drop that 429 in.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
xr70c

Check out my post in "The Den" - 351 2V versus 460ci - it gives you some of the pros and cons of doing that swap, seems like alot of hassle to me.

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
FMX to C-6?

Why bother changing trannies? You really don't have to! That's the neat thing about FMXs. You can change bellhousings to match whatever engine family you want to run! The only downside to the FMX is the availability of speed parts. Most of the larger tranny companies still have the parts available, but don't advertise them since the trans was last used some twenty years ago!

My one buddy is running his original FMX that came behind his 351C-2V behind a stroked 460 (484 inches now). It runs 10.90s easy. It still is running an FMX trans!!! His FMX has never skipped a beat (or burned itself out) in ten years of drag racing! He's blown several engines, snapped 35 spline aftermarket axles, broken teeth off the rear gears and even bent the rear end housing over the years but never damaged the tranny!

I gave him the bellhousing from the 351M/fmx that came in my first 78 Ford Country Squire when I swapped to a 429/C-6 for more heavy-duty towing.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts