Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 69 XR-7 that didn't have a engine or trans when I bought it. I was told that it came with a 315w and C-4 (I think). I can buy a 79 XR-7 with a 351 and ?? trans for $100. I know the 79 engine will have alot of emissions crap, and hopefully I can strip it all off. Will this engine and ?? trans work in my 69?? Thanks!

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
the 79 might have a 351W in it, but it might have a 351M too. the M errr... is a boat anchor of an engine so if it is that one i wouldnt waste my time with dealing with it. personally id just look a bit harder and try to find an early 351 to stuff in there.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Steve is right - chances are it is a 351M, not a 351W. If it is the M it will have 8 bolts holding on the valve cover. This is not a desirable motor unless you are looking to moor a boat from it. The W is what came in your 69 and will have 6 valve cover bolts. BTW - your 69 should have come with an FMX tranny.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, I'll check on the W or M question. If it is a 315W would it most likely work fine, is there any difference between a 79' 351W and a 69' 351W ??

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
The '79 will have a bunch of smog equipment like you mentioned as well as not very good cylinder heads. It will also most likely have an electronic ignition which is not such a bad thing. But, I would venture a guess that it's not a Windsor.

Mark

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
My buddy Keith has a 79 Ranchero (same basic car as Cougar in 72-79) and it does have a 351 Windsor. Hopefully the 79 you're looking at also has a Windsor. I'd stay away from the 351M since it is physically as tall, wide and almost as heavy as a 429/460 without the benefit of the cubic inches.

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
Cran,
look in some local JY`s and you may come across a early 70s Ford product that has a V8 in it .As you may already know after 73 the engine HP was going down lower and lower due to emmissions, try a local paper as well you could come up w/ alot there for now to get it running , but if you wanna do it just once try the local JY`s that 79 tanker may like the members say may have a 351M. But if price isnt a major factor try getting a crate engine ..
just a thought if it sparks a idea
thanks
pat

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I want to rebuild the engine myself which ever way I go, I've rebuilt one before, but it's been a while. I've been looking in the paper and asking around, that's how I came across the 79 engine. I feel like if I can get the 79 351W and tranny, (if it's a W and the tranny will work) then it will be a good deal for $100. Actually I only gave $100 for the car to start with. It's a project for my 14yr old to drive in 2 yrs. Even if the HP isn't great on the 79' 351 I think it will be plenty for him. But the main thing is to see if it's a 351W and if the tranny will work. Thanks for the replies, keep em' coming :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts