Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm planning on swapping my current 302 2V engine for a rebuilt 302 4V, since that's what's supposed to be under the hood.
Now I can get my hands on a 4V long block with a torquer cam.
I was told this is the moving parts including camshaft, timing chain, cylinder heads, oil pump and gaskets.
Now I'm wondering, do the 2V exhaust manifolds fit the 4V heads?
If that's the case, I just need an intake, carb, air cleaner and distributer to get a working engine (I assume the alternator and water pump will fit from the old 2V)?

Anyone been here before? I'd really like to plan this thing good because the shipping time for the engine is about 3 months (no prob, gives me time to save some and do some other work) and I'd like to have everything at hand when I need to get the engine running.

Thanks,
Matthijs

·
Registered
206 Posts
They should work...exhaust manifolds are not specific to 2v or 4v applications...

·
Registered
794 Posts
the alternator and water pump will fit. I belive the heads are the same for the 302 2v/4v.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
confused again

CrazyCat, how can the heads be the same if the 2V has 2 valves per cylinder and the 4V 4? Or is this me being stupid again and does 4V mean a 4bbl carb?
I know my car is a 68 xr7 and the engine code is J. I thought that means there's supposed to be an engine in it with 32 valves in total. Am I being a complete idiot now? :confused:
Please be honest, I can handle the truth.

Cheers!
Matthijs

·
Registered
123 Posts
If you want to use manifolds, and the whole point of a 4v is that it breathes better, why not switch to K-code manifolds while you are at it.
Gulf00 - the v refers to venturi's, as in the carb, as you guessed. All the heads are 2 valve.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmmm, I guess I'm too used to european cars where they all say 16V (meaning 4 valves per cylinder and all). So if the only differrence between a 2V and 4V is the number of venturis, there's not much of a point to swap the complete engine I guess, better get the current engine rebuilt and spend the rest of the $$ on intake and carb.
However I did like the idea of 32 valves in an engine
:D

Thanks you all for the info.

Rgds,
Matthijs

·
Registered
206 Posts
I didn't realize that there was a communication problem with the 2v and 4v designations meaning "barrels" on a carb versus valves per cylinder...sorry.

While you're at it...some of the saved money could be spent on a port and polish job on the heads or towards newer heads that will flow better out of the box. Good luck...you must have the coolest car in your country.:D

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's okay zhat,
I guess I'm the only one crazy enough to come up with the idea of a 32 valve V8 (at least in this case).
About the coolest car in the country, it's obvious that I've got the credit for that, since it is the only cool classic american in MY possesion ;) .
I must admit, american cars are rare around here, classic americans are rarer and cool classic americans are hard to be found (I'm not counting the mustangs in, since there's too much of those around compared to others. Which is one of the reasons to go by Cougar). However I've heard about someone who's got a black 71 Torino GT, which I think is a very very neat piece of machinery...
I never actually seen a 67-73 cougar for real when I bought mine (had it shipped from CA), so I do have the advantage over a very exclusive car in my area. And thank goodness there's enough idiots around to go by mustang, which provides me lots of opportunities to get parts for the cat :D .
It's not ready to run yet and it looks terrible, but I enjoy working on it and it is all mine!

Laterzzz,
Matthijs

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
one more question

Just one other thing, if the 2v and 4v heads are supposed to be the same,why would the guys from ford cast 4v on 4v heads? At least that's something I read in an older thread on this subject.
Someone who knows?

Thanks,
Matthijs

·
Registered
3 Posts
Re: one more question

Gulf00 said:
Just one other thing, if the 2v and 4v heads are supposed to be the same,why would the guys from ford cast 4v on 4v heads?
I don't know about the early 302s, but the four-barrel equipped 289s had higher compression ratios than the two-barrel versions. I believe they obtained this from different combustion chamber designs, and hence different castings.

2V and 4V can also refer to the heads on a Cleveland.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Actually, they were probably talking about the heads. The 4V has HUGE ports, big valves, and closed combustion chamber (62.8cc (brings around 11.0-1 compression)-2.19/1.71 valves) 2V has small ports, open combustion chamber and smaller valves (76.2cc (brings around 9.5-1 compression)-2.041/1,64 valves). Or could be talking carbs,lol.
This from a thread I posted a while ago, it relates to a 351 Cleveland, I don't know if the 302 was the same setup.

·
Registered
433 Posts
windsor heads

I think for the 302 there is no difference in the 2v and 4v heads. As to combustion chamber size, I thought the 289 heads were a different animal than the later 302 heads. I run 289 heads from a 65' and I have seen the same castings on 2v and 4v engines. Even the Hi Po's used pretty much identical heads. The only difference I believe was screw in studs. Anyway, all 289 heads had the small combustion chamber I believe. WIth mine, I ported em', put in oversized valves, then shaved them. With the block being decked, we figure its good for about 10.5 to 1 compression ratio.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts