Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone run into this before?the engine runs fine but when I apply the brakes the engine wants to stall.I have to have one foot on the gas and one on the brake to keep it running.I'm guessing vaccum leak somewhere.the booster is new,could it be from the headlight system?any suggestions?

Terry

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Still could be the booster. Unhook and plug the line. See if it stops. Do the same with the headlight vacuum and see if it helps. If you have a bad enough vacuum leak, stepping on the brake could be enough to stall your engine. So your best bet is to check everything connected to vacuum. If that doesn't find it, then look at the carb and maybe timing...Good luck and let us know what you find..

Bruce

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Don't hit the brakes!!! Duhhhhhh!! LMAO

seriously, your booster probably has an internal leak

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I was out playing today and after unhooking the brake booster it still stalls.with the booster disconnected and the brakes applied when I put it into any gear it wants to stall.but a little tap on the gas and the idle comes back up and it idles normal.I reconnected the booster and unhooked the line for the headlights and same thing.possibly a leak around the carb?maybe I'll disconnect all vaccum from it and start adding until I find the problem.

Terry

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
What's the idle set to? Should be at least 550 rpm in drive...

Bruce

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Sounds like you got carb issues, check your idle mixture and float settings...

Bruce

1 - 13 of 13 Posts