Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of finishing up the brackets for my twin Superchargers, I figured I could grab hold of another engine to test my system. A buddy of mine is selling an engine that looks like a 390, but I would like to know for sure. How can I read and tell from the V.I.N? where is the engine V.I.N?

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
On a car? 5th letter in the VIN is the engine designation, don't know about trucks.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok, well the engine is already out of the car or truck, he's selling the engine and trans for a good price but I want to know if there a stamp on the block or something. But I can always ask him what kind of car or truck he got it from and go from there. I really dont want a 460 if I can avoid it...those things are not really ideal for my test because the heads suck (70's emission crap)

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
The FE 390 (and all FE's) have a intake manifold that goes under the valve cover about 1/3rd of the way. 5 bolt valve covers 3 on top 2 on bottom. If you can post a pic that would help. Look at www.mustangtek.com and compare some of the parts you saw on it. See if you can tell. Also be sure it's a 390 could be just about anything but the 360's were very common in trucks too. Is this just a mockup engine or something you want to actually use?

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm planning on using it if it doesn't have any cracks and the cylinder walls look good. I'm replacing all internals if it proves to be a good candidate. I was going to use a 302, but I think twin superchargers is too much compression for such a small engine...

·
Registered
316 Posts
.. To actually tell if its a 390 you need to take the trans and flywheel off, the crank will only have a key way slot, the others will have the slot plus a half moon cutout..

·
Premium Member
4,105 Posts
Not a 390.
That be a 429/460. Look for some casting numbers. The heads casting number is easy to find just below the valve cover. If they start with C8VE or D0VE you have a decent starting point. As I recall the D0VE heads were better.

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
What Bill & Neal said.

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
According to www.mustangtek.com the 429/460 had 320-365hp 10.5:1 from 68-71, after that, the smog wars happened and killed the heads to a measly 8.5:1 compression. I wonder if the compression is the culprit for 212hp 72-77 blocks. Would the lower compression be a better candidate for supercharging?

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
That is also the period of time when the horse power ratings were changed.

Gross to net.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
oh so does that mean they were hiding as far as overall accuracy? What's your 429/460 horsepower estimate?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts