Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've aquired an early 302, that i've re-ringed, sealed and painted. Its only a temp, until i finish building my 351W, but I have no idea where to find the numbers on this block. I'd like to find out where originally and when this engine came from. Does anyone have ideas? Also I'm looking for a crank pulley and Waterpump pulley with dual grooves, for an engine with PS only. The guy had the wrong pulleys on this one, and they were actually touching each other. Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
The numbers are stamped on the passenger side just above the starter, there is a flat spot where there are numbers, clean it and you should see stampings.

Rick

·
Registered
600 Posts
Sorry but i have to say it

engine cereal?
Like Super Sugar frosted 429's?

Crispy crunchy Choco Clevelands?

Triple fruity 302's?

LOL sorry hada bad day needed to joke.
Please forgive me.

:D

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
have to remember he's rebuilding a carb, in a small,closed room and he's using LOTS of carb cleaner,lol.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alright cool. If someone can help me decode this number, thhat would be great.

D20E-60150-AB or

O2OE-6015-AB

and then there is either a 3819 or a 3B19 under that. I have no idea how to decode these numbers, so if anyone else can Iwould be greatful.

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
D20E is: D=70, 2=72 0=car line (torino,fairlane,etc.) E= engine 6015 is engine code.

Rick

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I dont get it.... D represents the year of the engine (70)? What about the "0" in the second space (72)? what does that represent? And I guess the 6015 means its a 302.

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Mautemps,

The 'D' is the decade. B = 50s, C = 60s, D = 70s, E = 80s, F = 90s
The '2' is the year of the decade. Thus, D2 = 1972
The 'O' is the car line the part was originally designed for. In this case, O = Fairlane/Torino
The last 'E' doesn't really mean that much in this case because it is a casting number or sometimes you'll find this kind of designation stamped on a part (stamping number) Casting numbers and stamping numbers are just identifying marks for assembly plant use. The casting number or stamping number may or may not be the actual part number.

The 8B19 on the line below the casting number is the date the part was cast. in this case, the first digit is the year. 8 being 1978 or 1988 or 1998 in this case. Since the casting was 'D2' or 1972, you know the block was cast after that.
The 'B' is the month. A = January, B = February and so forth. The letter 'I' is not used so 'J' = Sept and go on from there.
the '19' is the day of the month.

Your date code therefore is February 19 of 1978,(or 1988 or 1998)

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wait I dont get it. First you said the block was cast in 1972 usinh the first set of numbers, than you said the 8b19 was a casting number as well, and could represent it being cast in 78, 88, or 98. This is where I lose you. How can a part be cast twice in 2 different years, and why would the first year be so far before the second year stamped? If I'm correct, you are telling me this engine came out of a 72 fairlane or torino, right? I just dont get the 78, 88, 98 thing. Thanks

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
The first number, the D2OE is the casting number, similar to a part number. All it tells you is what the part was originally designed for. In your case, it was a 72 Torino. It does not mean that your engine is actually from a 72 Torino, just that the part was originally designed or last changed for the Torino car line in 1972. Actually, that isn't exactly true, but for our purposes it is close enough. The number 6015 is the Ford number for engine block. The AB is the change level.

The second set on numbers is the casting date. It will tell you when your block was actually cast. Since there is no decade designating number for a casting date, all we know is that it was cast sometime after 1972, but in a year ending with 8, so that means it was either 1978, 1988, or 1998.

Are we clear yet?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ahhh very clear. You learn something new eveyday, Thanks, but you also must remember they took the fuel pump out of the block in what year?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
timing mark pointer

Hey there again. Question, would the timing mark pointer be different on a 1969 302, compred to a 1978 302. I'm not sure if my engine is a 78 or an 88 though. Any tips on trying to figure this out as well as the timing thing. I know the timing arm is off. I have one that points at the 2 oclock position of the balancer. But the lines show up at the 11:00, 12:00 position and runs great. Thanks

1 - 12 of 12 Posts