Mercury Cougar Owners banner

engine s69ap

624 views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  jimk351c 
#1 ·
Hi there I just pulled the 78 302 from my 69 cat, and installed a 1988 302 HO motor from a Lincoln Mark 8. Is there anything I should know abput this swap concerning the engine timing. I cant seem to get it right, so I was wondering if the original distributer gear would be right (from the 78 motor) for this 88 motor. The motor has only 60K on it, but was an EFI motor. IT Idles OK, but when I put it intp gear, It runs really rough, and hardly wants to go. I'm postive that its a timing problem, but just wanted your 2 cents. Thanks

Anthony

#3 · (Edited)
Alright, I'll make it easier. Is a disrib. from a 78 302 motor going to work right in an 87 302 HO roller motor? Or do I have to change the gear. Just want to make sure. Also, do i have to use the flex plate from the 87 motor, or can I use the one that was in the 78, which was also in the original 351W that was is my 69. I'm not sure but I think that the harmonic balancer is heavier in an 87 motor. Many Thanks to whoever answers.

#5 ·
Ok cool, can I take the drive gear off the HO distibuter? And I lready figured out the 78 flexplate wont work, but will the HO flexplate work bolted up to the FMX torque convertor? I know that the 87 HO has a 50 oz balancer, so i already figured out the old plate wont work. Thanks

#6 ·
I honestly don't know if the drive gear from the HO motor will fit on the '78 distributor. Anyone else?

As for the flexplate from the HO. Unless you are using a newer AOD, you'll need a special flex plate from Ford motorsport. I do not believe either flex plate that you have will work on your application. Give your local Ford Motorsports dealer a call.

Good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.