Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting ready to order my engine from proformance unlimited. I am torn between the 351w with 350hp or the 347 stroker with 425hp. This car is going to be a daily driver. I am not sure if the 347 would be good for cruising. I am backing it up with a C6 auto and a 9 inch rear. Any advice would be great.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Go 347...you will thank yourself. There are plenty of daily driver cars out there, old and new, with 425hp and more...you will just have a better one ;)

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Either one would be fine....depends on which one you wallet is going to be more fond of! The 347 will be more hungry of course, but the W might be a better fit for a DD IMO. If you plan to get another DD at some point I'd get the 347, otherwise the W sounds like a more resonable fit. OR you could get the rear gear ratio to assist with the gas eating 347? I'm not much help here am I LOL!

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
There are other crate engines out there from other vendors that are just as good. Check out CNC-motorsports.com

-- 347-450hp
-- 347-475hp

Or a bit more expensive Coast High Performance.com

Either of those two places will build you whatever you want - you don't have to use one of their regular cataloged offerings. Or you can save a bunch of money by just getting a shortblock and adding your own cam, heads, intake...

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There are other crate engines out there from other vendors that are just as good. Check out CNC-motorsports.com

-- 347-450hp
-- 347-475hp

Or a bit more expensive Coast High Performance.com

Either of those two places will build you whatever you want - you don't have to use one of their regular cataloged offerings. Or you can save a bunch of money by just getting a shortblock and adding your own cam, heads, intake...
I have been to that site before I like the products however I like the warranty of Proformance unlimited 2 yrs unlimited miles. and 6350 for a 347 turn key is not to bad at all

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
$6350 w/two yr warranty isn't bad at all! I just wanted to make sure you knew that there are other options.

For me, the warranty doesn't mean all that much since my hobby car(s) don't get driven that much anyway. I think my wife's 70 Mach 1 has only gone ~200 miles in the past three years!

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I loved driving it before I started the restoration. I am going to drive it like I stole it when It is finally done.

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
The biggest issue with those warranties is you will be required to pull the motor and ship it back to the manufacturer if there is a problem. It happens, I know first hand. If you can locate someone local you'll be better off in my opinion. Go by Laniers downtown and see what he can do, best thing is he is local and a well respected engine builder. I wish I had. You can always go ahead and order the crate if he is too much.

I have been to that site before I like the products however I like the warranty of Proformance unlimited 2 yrs unlimited miles. and 6350 for a 347 turn key is not to bad at all

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The biggest issue with those warranties is you will be required to pull the motor and ship it back to the manufacturer if there is a problem. It happens, I know first hand. If you can locate someone local you'll be better off in my opinion. Go by Laniers downtown and see what he can do, best thing is he is local and a well respected engine builder. I wish I had. You can always go ahead and order the crate if he is too much.
Is he in Denver or the Colorado springs?

·
Registered
370 Posts
Co. Springs

·
Registered
90 Posts
Honestly they would both make the car fun to drive. Get the 347 if you have a requirement to beat the guy with the Camarro at the race track or something like that. The 347 is also a slightly better fit. (I have been chewin on the idea of building a hyper 331 for a couple of years)

Question.... why a C6 and not an AOD?

Matt

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
yeah I wondered that too - but it of course will add another 2k to the deal.....but for a DD it sure would be icing on the cake.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have always like the C6 never had a problem with one. The guy at the body shop told me I would have to modify the crap out of the trans tunnel to get an AOD to fit Not sure I really want to do that

·
Registered
370 Posts
I have always like the C6 never had a problem with one. The guy at the body shop told me I would have to modify the crap out of the trans tunnel to get an AOD to fit Not sure I really want to do that
I am placing a AODE in my 1968 right now and will not have to modify anything except for the cross-member...

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
Chuck, do you mind if I ask who your body guy is? Is he local?

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sure, My body guy is Ernie from Ernie's body shop out in Burlington, CO Why do you ask am I being told something wrong?

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
This is my first restoration. My last restoration was stolen from me when I was deployed to Iraq and I have never seen that 72 Gran torino again. So I am new to the whole Cougar seen I have had this car for 4 years now and am finally at a point in my life where I can Build it the way it needs to be. Please let me know If I am being misguided.

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
Hi Chuck,
I was just curious if it was a local shop and maybe someone I might know about. I don't know any shops in Burlington. Ernie just may be a little misinformed about the AOD conversions. There are no body modifications required to install an AOD in your Cougar. You would need a new cross member and a new Lokar style kick-down cable and potentially some additional cooling for the transmission. I have an AOD in mine and would be happy to let you inspect it if you wish. I'm not one to push you into the direction of an AOD however, it may not be the best combination for what you are looking for in your engine transmission combination. C6 may be overkill but if you are familiar and like it that is what you should get.
Sure, My body guy is Ernie from Ernie's body shop out in Burlington, CO Why do you ask am I being told something wrong?

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks so much for the advice. I originally wanted an AOD and then when he told me about having to modify the tunnel and all of that. I figured that was a lot of work for that, wasn't sure I wanted to get in to that money wise. I will have to think more about it now. I may take you up on that offer just so I can get an Idea of how it all goes together if that is cool. Thanks again. Why do you think the C6 is over kill? just curious.

Hi Chuck,
I was just curious if it was a local shop and maybe someone I might know about. I don't know any shops in Burlington. Ernie just may be a little misinformed about the AOD conversions. There are no body modifications required to install an AOD in your Cougar. You would need a new cross member and a new Lokar style kick-down cable and potentially some additional cooling for the transmission. I have an AOD in mine and would be happy to let you inspect it if you wish. I'm not one to push you into the direction of an AOD however, it may not be the best combination for what you are looking for in your engine transmission combination. C6 may be overkill but if you are familiar and like it that is what you should get.

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
There are C4's launching 1000hp drag strip cars. They can be made pretty darn tough. There is a ton of hop-up stuff available for the C4 and some but not quite so much for the C6. The hot-rodders I hang out with like the C4's, AOD's, Nine inch rears etc. C6 is a good transmission but you also get the extra weight to go with it. Nothing wrong with it. I did manage to smoke a C4 once but I think it was likely rebuilt improperly in the first place so maybe not a good example of the real C4 toughness. The AOD is for cruisers mostly, and good mileage, not particularly known for street racing in my experience.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts