Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a 2bbl 302 rated at 210hp, is it profoundly restricted by the intake?
In other words, if you put more cam in it and headers, will it do any good or is the intake still holding it down to around 210hp (+/- a few) ?
(all this was done by the previous owner... don't know why he kept the 2bbl... milage I guess...)

The reason for this question is in part: Will I get more power or MORE power from just swaping in a 4bbl intake and carb?

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Yes you will get more power with a 4bbl, especially if the car has had headers etc already done to it. mm

·
Registered
614 Posts
2-barrel is good for low-end though...great for trucks, maybe not so hot on yours. If you're not concerned with mileage, and you don't try to drown the vehicle by putting too large of a carb on, I think you'll appreciate the difference.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Zero is right. I noticed a low-end drop when I put my 4bbl on, but mid and top did get better. Although alot of people who drove in my car noticed a big difference with the 4bbl swap on the street, so....

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the input!

Well going with 4bbl was pretty inevitable... Might go with fuel injection... if I can get it working right... (homemade)

So the headers and cam probably didn't do any good with the 2bbl still on then?

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Lets just say there full potential cant be realized with the restrictive intake and carb. mm

·
Registered
648 Posts
Conversely, my experience with overcarburetion also indicates that a big carb and manifold breathing through a mild camshaft and stock exhaust manifolds suffer the same consequences.

If you're going to do it (performance modifications) then do it right by eliminating all of the flow restrictions on both sides of the cylinder...

Ken

1 - 9 of 9 Posts