Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok...I lied...but THIS is the last question for tonight!! Can anyone tell me where the engine and head numbers are on the 67 289 (or 302?)? And where would I go with these numbers to find out if the block is a 289 or a 302...and if the right heads are on the engine. The former owner said that the engine might have been changed and I had trouble finding a vacuum advance because the number on the distributor did not show up for a 67 289. I guess I could hunt for the numbers but you guys are so helpful!!.....Thanks for the :1zhelp: !

·
Registered
669 Posts
Oooooh, If i remember correctly, the VIN of the car is stamped on the back of the block, behind the intake, facing up. As far as if it's a 289 or 302, I believe you would have to pull your intake off and it's stamped on the lifter gallery staring you in the face. There may be other numbers which can tell you, but i would have to go digging to find the info.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I looked and looked and looked...

but I couldn't find a number in that area behind the intake manifold...even scraped the crud! Would there be another location that I should look? Maybe from underneath? :confused:

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
passenger side above starter is a flat area with numbers stamped on the block, or metal tag on coil, on the heads, it's under the head by an exhaust valve (need to take head off for number).

·
Contributing Member
5,865 Posts
Only big blocks had their vin stamped on the engine. Most 289/302 didn't have any engine number stamped until mid 70's.

There should be a casting number on the block around the oil filter mounting that should tell you if it is a 302/289. Unfortunately I only have translations for big block casting numbers

·
Registered
168 Posts
Original motor

If its the original motor it should be a 289.

·
Registered
216 Posts
My standard 68 came with a 302, it's got numbers stamped into the deck just behind the intake manifold, however, thay are stamped VERY lightly, and required three coats of naval jelly and alot of elbow grease with a scotch brite to read, and then the first 8 in the code looks like a 3. The numbers are closer to the drivers side on the little flat area.

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Clevelands also have the car serial number stamped on them.

For that matter, so do the trannies!

·
Premium Member
4,105 Posts
On 302 4v engines the VIN is stamped on the flat spot at the back of the block look at the back of the intake. 68 small blocks have a 302 2v or 289 2v cast in the rocker area also 302 4v in same area. How ever that will not nessesaraly mean that thats what you have. the head casting number is on the botem of an intake runner and can not bee sean with out removing the intake.
On FE big blocks I have founf VINs stamped on the block just below thw L/H head(us cars drivers side) also on 351Ws and 351Cs in the same area. usualy onlu the year,factory code and unit number. IE: 0F516333 this would be for one of my 70 cougars full vin in this case would be 0F91H516333. I curently have 5 clevland blocks thet are stamped this way.
Neal.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Success!!...sorta...

Thanks for all the help. I looked again andI finally found the number right where you all said it should be...behind the intake on the top of the block. And yes, ronzoni, they are stamped very lightly! The first number (year) is difficult to make out...all that I could make out is that it is either a 6 or an 8 because of there being only a small circle. Maybe you 68 guys can help me out with this. I suspect it is a 6 because of the size of the bottom circle, it is very small. I suspect that the 8 would have a larger bottom circle to match the size of tyhe other numbers:confused: Anyway the whole number is 6F205343 or 8F205343. If I remember correctly, all sequential numbers for cougars start with 5. Does anyone know which model starts with 2? So I guess its not the original engine!
Another question that comes to mind is if it is an 8, and considering the rest of the number, the car would have been built in late 67? Does anyone know when the 289 was discontinued and replaced with the 302?
I really appreciate all the help you guys (and gals?) have given me with all my questions. Many thanks!!:D :D :D :D

·
Registered
669 Posts
Bruter, If I'm not mistaken, the 289 stayed until mid '68 and then was replaced with the 302. Therefore you can find an early '68 with a 289 but not a '67 with 302. As far as the number on the block, it should match the VIN on the car if it's the original. Hence the term 'numbers matching car'. I'm not sure which vehicle had the number 2 as the sequence starter.
Bert

·
Premium Member
4,105 Posts
I think that number was from a mustang, The F in the number indecates a Dearborn built car. In 66 and 68 mustangs were built there.
Neal.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts