Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 69 is currently at the shop but I figured I'd run this issue by you guys. When I've been starting my car up to warm it up, after about 5 minutes it'll just shut off. It starts right up again on the first try. Then recently I was driving for about 10 minutes and when I slowed down to get off the highway, it stalled again but started right up again. It stalled two more times on the way home so by the time I got home I decided to take it to my mechanic ASAP. He said there's no issues with the fuel supply or filter being clogged. He said after test driving it he pulled it into his shop and it shut down again. He reached under the dash and said the ignition wire was hot. Yesterday he was going to call around to some buddies of his who have worked on old cars to see if they've come across something like this before. Has anyone else had this happen and know where the possible issue is? I should hear from him Monday but thought I could pass on any info from here if someone else has figured this issue out. Thanks for the help!

Ben

·
Registered
384 Posts
Ignition coil may have a heat problem.

·
Registered
292 Posts
JAWAG, but think that if you have a "hot" wire, you have an intermitant short. Look for it in the Key switch or the Fuze panel. I think, and I could be wrong, but if you were to bypass the switch completely, and it runs it will identify the switch as the culprit, That is where I would look first. It sounds like a "heat" issue. Make and break on a solder point.

Just my 1/5 of a dime and probably not worth even that!

Lloyd Bledsoe

·
Banned
89 Posts
check the coil, but they generally shut off like a switch when bad.
check module if you have elec ign.
i suspect one of these 2, they will get to operating temperature and shut down when they are shot, and also both tend to refire after they cool down.

check your ign. switch if its original, old contact can sometimes get sticky and hot because they dont release
replace all your fuses with 5 amp fuses, see what burns out and diag that system :D

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
And the winner is the ignition switch. He replaced it and so far no issues.

Of course something else seems to have popped up. When I took it in I thought I noticed that it was taking bumps pretty hard on the front end. My wife said it looked like water was pouring out from the front of the driver's side when I was leaving but I figured it was rain water since it had rained the day before. So on my way home with it it felt and sounded like the front end was going to drop out of it when I went over a bump. It was horrible. I've replaced the wheels and tires, front shocks and springs and sway bar within the last 6 months but this problem just started so I don't think it's related to anything recently unless I somehow blew a shock. Could the liquid coming from the front have been something from the front shock? I'm hoping to get it checked out Friday but it's frustrating to solve one problem and have another start liked they tagged off.

Ben

1 - 6 of 6 Posts