Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was driving home from school on the interstate and my car felt like it missed for a quick second proceeded to drive another 100ft backfired 3 times and cut off. Had to get it towed home. I suspected my timing chain skipped or broke since i have replaced all electrical components. I took of my timing chain cover and the chain was not broken but was loose on one side and tight on the other. I didnt feel like messing with it so i just yanked it out and am putting in new sprokets and chain. Seems like the right thing to do while i have it off. I need advice and tips on putting my new stuff on. I have my motor sitting at top dead center but thats all i have at the moment. Any advice would be awesome Also the gear on my distributor is screwed. So i am replacing the WHOLE distributor as well

·
Registered
204 Posts
Don't worry about TDC yet, just make sure the pips on both of the gears point to each other, then worry about TDC. Be sure to replace the front crank seal.

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
If in fact your timing gear slipped while you were driving, you will probably need to get your heads rebuilt too. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but probably some valves hit pistons, and pushrods were bent...

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
What all parts do you have to put on the car? If the intake has to come off, you will see the pushrods noticably bent. Was it a nylon gear that came off? Are the teeth on the cam gear obviously worn?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well i took off the timing cover and the only teeth truely ripped off wa my distributor gear. I pulled everything else apart and didnt see anything that jumpedout at me. I am gonna finish reassemblying tomorrow and ill let ya know what happens

1 - 6 of 6 Posts