Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys i got the engine going but i think there is something wrong.when i have the car on and go to the back of the car to hear the exhaust the right side has a uniform noise (exhaust)noise but the left side there is not uniform maybe a misfire its not alot but you can tell the differance.also when i rev it up and keep it rev'd the lesft rear pops/makes noise but the right side is ok it has a steady noise.i had problems with the driver side vavles .is it to tight or to loose thats why the misfire?how do i fix it?:1zhelp:

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
sounds like the valves are to tight. Run the motor at temp, then take a cover off, and loosen it again until it clacks, then tighten 1/4 turn. It will get messy, so do a few at a time, and shut off, then clean up (dont want a fire) and do a few more until there are done. It may take a few times to get them right. Good luck.

Rick

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what if

What if i check the sparks plugs to see which one is fouling ? ,or can i run a compression test? so does the car need to be running to loosen and tighten the vavle?or can i do it when the car is off?gosh the engine rebuilding has me going up the wall hopefully the other parts dont give much problems like this one!thanks in advance i posted my engine check it out and tell me what you think

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
That's what happening to mine. Grab a pair of insulated pliers, and run the car. Now pull each wire off the cap and see what cylinder isnt firing. Careful though, you might get shocked:D
I found out # 5 and #6 have spark at the wire and plug, but isnt firing by pulling the wire off the cap, if it's firing, the motor will stumble, if not, no change. I think my valves are too tight, so I have to adjust them again. You can do it with the motor off, but have to go thru the firing order to adjust them. It's easier (but messy) to do it with the motor running, that way the lifters are pumped with oil and you'll get an accurate setting. Only do a few at a time, put cover back on, run the motor, then do more. Im doing mine tonight, it's popping big time and if I go down a hill, it POPS loud, so it has to be done, plus it doesnt idle well. Hopefully this works, if not, Im tired of playing with this motor, and getting a new one.

I saw the picture of your motor. Very clean, why is the intake black though. Paint it either blue or aluminum, but thats just me.

Rick

1 - 4 of 4 Posts