Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a foundry number that certifies that I have my original engine? what location? Thank you;)

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Many Fords no longer have their original engines. I want to know if my engine is its first engine.

·
Registered
47 Posts
True. Best way then is to use the door tag build date and compare it to the casting number and date on the block, heads, intake. Trans will usually still have the tag on it with a date also. More pictures and door tag info will help us, help you.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes thank you, I knew it was possible. I looked on the part cited.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Yes thank you, I knew it was possible. I looked on the part cited.
They cast the day/month/year of them and they should be, not always, with in a few days/weeks on the car's build date. Now if someone was really good about it, they would have to find a date match power train to put in it. But rarely unless they are looking to keep it "numbers matching".

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
another information found. Under the starter, on the block. There is an engine number which gives the year and the type of block and next to it, another number which gives the date of manufacture. From 68, there is a number struck at the end of the block, between the admission and the box, which is part of the VIN. As on the box elsewhere ;)

👍

·
Registered
17 Posts
my 1968 is a leftover 1967 engine , build date Jan3, 1968, in San Jose, but it is a C code which indicates its a 289. from 1967. Drove me crazy for years until needed a dome cover gasket, replaced the set, then on the driver side, stamped into the iron engine top was a 289. It wasn't a 302 (F code) as advertised in the promo booklet and the air cleaner decal had been replaced, though looked original. 195 vs. 210 hp. I upgraded exhaust to dual, not headers, but runs and sounds good so I'm told.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Jan 1968 would be a 68, not a left over. You'd need a build date of around Jun 67 to be a left over. 302 started really hitting the streets in Mar 68 when they stopped building the 289s. Most 68s had the 302s with left over 289s being in the early (Fall 67) production models.

·
Registered
13 Posts
my 1968 is a leftover 1967 engine , build date Jan3, 1968, in San Jose, but it is a C code which indicates its a 289. from 1967. Drove me crazy for years until needed a dome cover gasket, replaced the set, then on the driver side, stamped into the iron engine top was a 289. It wasn't a 302 (F code) as advertised in the promo booklet and the air cleaner decal had been replaced, though looked original. 195 vs. 210 hp. I upgraded exhaust to dual, not headers, but runs and sounds good so I'm told.
In 68 Ford use leftover 289 blocks for many early 302s. More important, what heads are on the car. All 302s in 68 use the 1 year only J-code heads. In the Mustang they used 302s for the 4V cars and 289s for the 2V cars until the 289 blocks ran out then they even used 302 blocks in a few 289s. Starting in 68 Federal law changed requiring Ford to stamp a partial VIN on the engine block. If you Engine is originaL the stamping should be there.

·
Premium Member
4,115 Posts
In 68 Ford use leftover 289 blocks for many early 302s. More important, what heads are on the car. All 302s in 68 use the 1 year only J-code heads. In the Mustang they used 302s for the 4V cars and 289s for the 2V cars until the 289 blocks ran out then they even used 302 blocks in a few 289s. Starting in 68 Federal law changed requiring Ford to stamp a partial VIN on the engine block. If you Engine is originaL the stamping should be there.
In the 1968 model year the base V8 in a Mustang was a 289 2V. Mid year Mercury added that engine to the base Cougar for a slightly less expensive model. They were not left over engines, All of the 1968 model year the F code 302 2V was available in any Cougar. Only the 302 4V "J" coed got the 4V heads all 302 2V engines got 302 2V heads.

Reactions: seb67

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I understand and thank you for the information.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 68 was built in April of 68 and has a factory 289. For years I thought only the 67 had a 289. It's a base model 289 2v auto trans but has some nice factory options, tilt away steering wheel, ac, power brakes, power steering. Original color is grecian gold, black vinyl top and parchment interior. Odd color combo imo.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts