Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Can you give me some information on this 351 Windsor marine engine. (Based on water pump numbers) What modification do I need to make to fit this engine on my car. Thank you for your information

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mercury cougar 1967

·
Registered
38 Posts
If the engine is a 72 as the block casting numbers say, the water pump inlet is on the driver's side. If so you'll need a 70 351W radiator because of that. Other the that, what engine was in there before? Any 289 motor mounts will bolt up to a 351W as will the bellhousing. If a 390, then you'll have to change them.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was asking the question because some time ago a guy told me that this Ford marine engine is very different from an automobile engine. He told me for example that the direction of rotation was different. Between us, I never believed in it so this engine allows you to get on a car without any problem sorry for my ignorance.:D

·
Premium Member
4,112 Posts
Some marine engines are reverse rotation. But only if the boat had 2 engines. That was to keep the boa running in a straight line, if both ran the same rotation the boat would push to the side of rotation.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I understand what you have explained. as regards my motor how can I see that it is not reversed?
and how can an engine be mechanically reversed?

Thank you

·
Registered
38 Posts
US Navy does it all the time. Especially in Emergency diesel generators. They face both ways with an engine in the froward and aft part of the ship. I had 2 Fair Morse 10 cyl, opposed piston that one rotated CCW the other CW. At 75% load the used 90 gal of fuel and hour.

·
Premium Member
4,112 Posts
I understand what you have explained. as regards my motor how can I see that it is not reversed?
and how can an engine be mechanically reversed?

Thank you
If you have a full assembly with the starter you could jus apply power to the starter to see what way it turns. But if your rebuilding this I don't think you will need to worry much. Have your machine shop look at the crank to see if it is good. Oiling holes may be drill differently or may not be. Get a new cam and lifters and it should be good to go. I think in Ford Small block marine engines the cam and external electrical items(Starter and Alternator) are all that are deferent.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you for the answer that's what I wanted to know no I couldn't see the engine running and when I bought it it was already disassembled and I have no history. I noted what you wrote to make it work there is also the camshaft to change it too. Thank you all for your responses

1 - 10 of 10 Posts