Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A buddy of mine is looking at a big block motor for his cat. The guy selling it, is not sure what motor he has, he just know its a FE BIG BLOCK. How can I help him ID this engine, where do I look for date and Motor ID info. It is not in a car.

Thanks in advance

·
Banned
4,754 Posts
ID

Scott the only semi reliable way to check a big block is to remove a plug and roll engine to both top and bottom dead centers and measure with a tape the distance/difference.This should give you the stroke and should be able to get an idea what its not at least.The casting #s on bigblocks are often the same irregardless of internal dimensions.Same deal w/#s for heads.Post the #s for the heads and intake and I'll decode em Catz ya

·
Registered
12 Posts
390 Hi-po blocks have "HP" stamped on the face of the block, and side oilers have some external oddities, but the majority of blocks look fairly similar from the exterior.

Ray-decode of the numbers will be your best bet, or your local bookstore might have a copy the big block rebuild book. It should have casting numbers and decode information.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ray on the front drivers side of the Block it looks like this

It can't be that simple can it. I see no othere numbers but its pretty gunked up I'll check the heads later.

·
Banned
4,754 Posts
Naaa They all say that You will have to look inside the engine via the plug/tape method or remove the pan and get the letter/data from the crank:cool: I'll decode the heads for you when you can supply the # that is between sprk plugs holes in the middle.Catz ya later

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ray it looks like a 6 L21 on the head.

Bye the way what color should the H balancer on my 69 390 be blue or black???

Thanks Scott

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
FE date

6L21 would be 12/21/1966 or 12/21/76
The casting # on the head would pin down the decade.... Located between center spark plugs.

·
Banned
4,754 Posts
color

Scott Dampner either black or natural not blue and can you locate the C8AE # somewhere near plug holes.Thats the one I can tell you about.The info Art has supplied is accurate as well.THX for now :cool:

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Date codes!

Ford did not use the letter 'I' as part of a date code. Therefore, the 6L21 would be November 12, 66 (or 76) ! 'M' is December

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
SO would that be a 352/390/ 427/428 head. This guy thinks it a 69 390.

Thanks for all the help so far.

·
Banned
4,754 Posts
Scott highly doubful that it will be a 427/8 and they are worth big $$.Anyway as soon as I get the # I'll let you know what its for and yes Cougarcj is right the "L" is Nov."M" is Dec.These "390s" often end up being 360s so careful and best bet is to pull pan and ID crank for certain.The 360/390 and full sized cars w/428 all use same heads.428CJ and 427 use much different than reg production cars.Let us know we are all interested.Catz ya

W

·
0 Posts
Scott, forgive the off subject post here but your friends car; it doesn't happen to be a '68 GT 390 XR7 does it? I sold one in Eugene several years ago and always wondered what happened to it.

·
Contributing Member
162 Posts
I need some ID Help As Well!

Guys....I need your expertise. I have just got my hands on a complete 429 4V with a C6 still attached to it. The fellow I got it from claims the engine and trany are from his fathers 1975 Montego however, I found a small aluminum tag on the engine with the following info:
429 - 73 13
2K24 K816 A

Any ideas what the code means? What additional numbers would I need to pull to get spec's on this engine? I really don't want to break it open as this is apparently a good running engine and I want to get it checked out before pulling it apart.

Any help would be greatly appreciated....

BTW. Any opinions on whether I should rip out the stock 351C 2V which needs a complete overhaul and drop the 429 4V in for some fun for awhile or should I stick to the original 351C???

·
Banned
4,754 Posts
Dale Thats a 73 429 according to tag.Built Oct 24 /72 level change K816A.Does the "K" stank for ram air anyone?Dale you can put a 429 in your car but have you seen the price of gas?The amount of revisions you will have to make and the loss in fuel should be close to paying for a rebuild of the correct engine,but its your car so go nutz.

·
Contributing Member
162 Posts
351 or 429?

Yeah, I know Ray....the gogo juice has gone up but you know...for the odd weekend of wild and crazzzzy times in the summer might make it worth while.

I was of the understanding that there wasn't a lot of mod's to put a 429 into the 70 Cougar. Am I missing something drastic here....can you elaborate? I know the previous owner of this Cat replaced all of the springs (front and rear) and all he could get at the time was front springs for a big block Cat. So the car naturally sits an 1" or 2" high on the front right now with the 351C in there. What else other than the obvious motor mount relocating would I need to be concerned about?

Thanks for the help....

Dale

·
Banned
4,754 Posts
My concern has been addressed which was the spring issue.Oh and exhau$t drive shaft and well thats about all.The 429s were big lunking engines that don't particularily rev up fast cause of the weight of the reciprocating parts.A nice light 351C done right should out perform a big 29 in stock configuration.Of course if you are pulling a horse trailer the 29 will really help on uphills.There is a kit offered some where to put 29s into Cougs/Stangs but you'll have to look for it.Hopefully cooling won't be a problem but can be so watch out there.Well I guess thats about it for now.Catz ya:cool:

·
Contributing Member
162 Posts
Thanks again Ray. Points well made and good advice. The exhaust will need to custom I guess and the drive shaft I received with the 29 and C6....may need to do so customizing there as well though. Cooling....now that could be an issue, never thought that one through. Guess I should hunt down a good 3 core rad that will fit eh?

You mention that the 29 is not a high rev mill....so not a good off the line motor? The 351C would out perform the 429 if done right...now that's food for thought as well. I will need to think about that as well. One more question for you....I also have a toploader 4 speed that was out of a Boss 302 Stang...I was told it would boltup to my 351C but how bout the 429???

Thanks again for the info....

Dale

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
429 into 70

I had a 429CJ that I found for cheap that I was going to put into my 'Alpha' '73, but after thinking about it for a while, and since I had not even dropped in the freshly-rebuilt 351CJ, I thought better of it.

Since you already have the trans for the 429 that saves you a few bucks there, now, along with the aforementioned motor mounts (trans mount and crossmember?), you're looking at major exhaust rework (either headers or trying to match up some kind of exhaust manifolds, then cooling, and as long as you have the 429 out you'll have to freshen it up, eh? Then there's the accessory brackets, belts and hoses, spark plug wires, fuel pump, water pump, probably an aftermarket intake manifold and related carb, Oh, you'll probably want a new torque convertor, shift kit for the new C-6, and I suppose you'll want to go through the trans as well.... It goes on and on, doesn't it.

Oh, and as long as you're putting in that big, heavy block, why not just make it a 460? Just change the crank and pistons. I will warn you though. A stock 460 does not like to rev much over 5200 or bad things start happening. Even with new forged TRW pistons, they come apart. There is just too much rotating weight. My buddies who race 460+ motors use lightweight pistons and steel connecting rods. Since making those two changes, their engines will last more than a half a season before blowing up like the stockers did.

BTW, my healthy 351C takes my '73 for high 12 second passes in the quarter. Fast enough?

You'll have to decide whether it is worth it for you or not.

·
Contributing Member
162 Posts
Thanks for all your comments. I just wanted to add that the 29 & C6 were in excellent running condition when removed. The 29 is 100% complete with all brakets, belts, hoses, vacuum lines, intake, carb, air cleaner, exhaust manifolds, motor mounts, starter, altenator, ps pump, ac condensor, trans linkage etc, etc. It's all there....as far as I can tell.

If I decided to slip it in the way she is...take my chances on it being a good runner for a little while, is this an irreversible transplant? Will I be able to put the 351 back in without to much hassel after shes rebuilt? I simply wanted to give the 429/C6 a tryout for the fun of it all and later bring it back to almost stock by putting the 351 back with a 4 speed instead of the C4.

Anyway....it's all food for thought.

Thanks

Dale

·
Contributing Member
162 Posts
428 vs. 429

Okay, so I can't make up my mind...I would like to throw a question out to everyone and see what they would do.

After searching high and low for 3 years for a good big block, now I have 2 of them at my disposal. Both a good running engines complete...the first a 428 from a 69 Lincoln and the second is a 429 from a 1973 Montego. My 70 Cougar is far enough down the non-numbers matching road that I thought I would have some fun. But as I said, I can't decide which way to go.

Is one a better engine than the other, more hp, easier fit, etc.???

Let me know what you think please.....

Dale

1 - 20 of 21 Posts