Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,i just got me engine short block back.but before i send out the engine out the pistons where 0.30 and now there 0.40 is this good or bad and also they put in a rv cam?how much hp will i get out of it? i still have to get the heads done.i will now clean up the engine compartment thanks in advance :)

·
Premium Member
4,105 Posts
Sorry, I have no idea as to how much more power you'll have. The rest sounds OK to me. Unless its a clevland, If so add more cooling. Neal.

·
Premium Member
4,105 Posts
Navarro,
Ask the shop that installed the camfor the cams specs. If I understand correctly, ARV cam is usualy just a little hoter than stock. But I have never bought one as such my self.I'm still not sure what engine you have but most can go .40 over with no over heating problems. Clevlands are a possable exception. If the shop that did the work cares about the work they do then it will be fine. Neal.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I read your post but I don't have much info for you, I don't think you will encounter any problems with the .040 overbore and an rv cam ussually is for optimizing low end power and torque. In other words, compared to a stock motor it should have alot more power from the take off but it will not be a high reving motor. I would think that everyday driving should be fun, if you want high rpm's you should consider changing to a performance type cam before you reassemble everything.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Nav, you need to be more specific when you post for help. That said is .040 good? Why yes it is you now have nice stright bores for maximum ring sealing. You should be thankfull that your shop didnt go right to .060 like alot would have done. There are not many Ford motors that wont live a .060 just fine so .040 is no problem at all. You now have a little room left for future work if ever required. As far as the cam, WV said it right.mm

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks

the engine i have is 302 also have an edelbrock manifold and carb. will i need anything extra when i get the heads done ?yes i could have gone with a high performance cam but im on a budget
this car is going to be a weekend car, fun car. i will post pictures as the work goes here is a picture just after i bought it.sad isnt it it looks alot better now

Attachments

·
Registered
266 Posts
An RV cam will give more power in the low and middle RPM ranges. How much horsepower you make with it depends on how many other thing were improved like carb, manifold, headers. exhaust. All of these will affect the total performance output of the cam. By itself it will give you a noticable boost but not as much as it's capeable of.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I don't think it looks to sad. I look at it this way, there's no rust around the shock towers(big plus) its got a cd ignition and it looks to be in running condition. It would look great with a clean up and a "dupont overhaul". Of course I always look at the positive side of things, you know the glass is half full type of guy.
good luck
John

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Dupont overhaul????? remember the awsome DP-90 is not legal in Southern Cali anymore....... and in response to other comments, no, legally here in Cali we are not allowed to spray more than 5 sq feet of an object outdoors. so dont tell anyone that i shot the valance panels and rear extensions and mirror for my car ( from sealer to clearcoat ) in the great wide open. :p:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts