Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I was hoping someone out there could answer a few questions for me. I'm looking to add a chrome air cleaner lid on to the top of my original air cleaner base, but not sure how I should go about that. I've noticed the chrome 289 Hipo Cleaner repo, but I doubt it will fit on my 351W. I've also seen the eliminator, boss 302, 390 and 428 chrome air cleaner lids. Should I look for one of these (which will fit?), or should I get my original chromed? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Did you want to stay with FoMoCo or go aftermarket? Cause I put a nice rippled chrome edelbrock 360 open aircleaner on my 351W.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd like to stay towards the factory look, as I like the lower portion of the air cleaner, but would like to dress it up with the chrome lid.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
If your current lid is clean and straight, I would have it sand blasted and chromed. Then there is no doubt about it fitting correctly. It may cost more than swap meet stock.

I was very leary of changing anything from stock on mine until I went my first show and saw very few that were stock. I now will look at keeping outward appearance stock and use what feels good under the hood. To find all of the original parts now gone will more than a little costly.

Mine had old Mustang dress up kit on engine when I got it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts