Mercury Cougar Owners banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello people.
I have a 1971 XR-7 Coupe Vin-H.
The engine ran nearly perfect when I bought the car.
The Engine cut off while doing about 40mph. Went from Running Perfect to "Running, What's That?" in the space of about 4 seconds.
I have replaced the spark plugs, spark
plug wires, distributor cap and rotor, the condenser, the and the coil.
Distributor isn't more than 5 months old.
Starter solenoid is fine.
Battery is fine.
We know the engine is getting fuel and air, and we put a timing light on the coil>distributor wire and found it flashing in Morse Code instead of a clean pattern.
Engine freespins, but doesn't turn over...I can audibly HEAR the plugs not firing.
I am at my wit's end, and in the mood to chuck wrenches.
I humbly beg the Community for its insight.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Check your coil.
Hello people.
I have a 1971 XR-7 Coupe Vin-H.
The engine ran nearly perfect when I bought the car.
The Engine cut off while doing about 40mph. Went from Running Perfect to "Running, What's That?" in the space of about 4 seconds.
I have replaced the spark plugs, spark
plug wires, distributor cap and rotor, the condenser, the and the coil.
Distributor isn't more than 5 months old.
Starter solenoid is fine.
Battery is fine.
We know the engine is getting fuel and air, and we put a timing light on the coil>distributor wire and found it flashing in Morse Code instead of a clean pattern.
Engine freespins, but doesn't turn over...I can audibly HEAR the plugs not firing.
I am at my wit's end, and in the mood to chuck wrenches.
If the coil isn’t the problem try a new distributor. I’ve had both go bad on me, but the replacement coils that try to look like the original are not very reliable IMHO. Good luck.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hello people.
I......
Is your 351 a Cleveland by chance? If so, you are NOT going to like this answer. The computerized parts system at Autozone, O'Rielly's, etc show the same distributor for 351 C and 351W. And that is wrong. Sadly the 351W distributor will strip a few gears off the cam in less than 500 miles. The car will stop dead, not run and will fire randomly as the missing teeth don't move the rotor and then it starts moving again where there are still teeth left. Happened to my '70 Cleveland when I replaced the old worn out, won't hold dwell angle or timing original distributor. My troubleshooting sounded exactly like yours. Take off the distributor cap and watch for the rotor to stop and start... If this is what happened it's time for the correct distributor and a new camshaft. It's been since 2015 when this happened to me, but if I recall correctly the other 385 series engine distributors are correct (429 or 460).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts