Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to clean up the engine hoses and wiring mess in my 70 Cougar. It looks like the previous owner bypassed the heater core, so I assume I will be replacing that. The hose that comes out the back of the carberator is going into the valve cover. Is this correct ? There is a nipple on the valve cover(passenger side) that doesn't attach to anything, not sure if the hose from the carb goes to the air cleaner...thanks in advance..Joe
If anyone can email me a factory correct engine compartment for reference that would be great...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
You are correct on both hoses. A little unusual but not unheard of to find a 351W in a '70. Do you know your build date or if the engine is the original?

Regards,

Bob

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
build date is 12/02/69. Previous owner said motor was original, but who knows. The car did come with a 351 from the factory. Still a little confused. Does the hose that comes from the rear of the carb go to the valve cover as in the picture ? If so what goes to the air cleaner...thanks Joe

Attachments

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
The picture is correct as to the routing of the hose from the passenger-side valve cover. The PCV valve is at the valve cover end of that hose. The hose from the breather cap on the driver's side valve cover connects to the elbow on the side of the air filter housing.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
You are correct on both hoses. A little unusual but not unheard of to find a 351W in a '70. Do you know your build date or if the engine is the original?

Regards,

Bob
Bob,

Actually not that unusual to find a Windsor in an "H" code '70 Cougar.

Marti Auto FAQ W vs C

The nipple on the passenger side of the air cleaner indicates a vehicle equipped with "California" Evaporative Emission Controls and connects with the charcoal canister mounted on the passenger side frame behind the front suspension.

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts