Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to pull my engine soon to detail the engine room I need some help from you all befroe I get started. It seems the last owner liked to paint things silver like the heads, water pump, alt, ex manifolds, and power steering pump. I know the heads and water pump should be blue. What color shoud the ex manifolds, power steering pump be? I'm going to repaint the engine room also so should it be Flat, Simi Gloss or Gloss Black? I have the same question for the hood hinges, horns, hood latch and so forth.

Has anyone out there ever painted their Edlebrock manifold to make it look a little more like stock. I have the original manifold but I don't want to give up any performance for correctness.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Scott,

If you don't have an Eastwood's catalog for paint their # is 1-800-345-1178. Use the factory gray hight temp coating for the exhaust manifolds,under hood semi-gloss black for the engine compartment and horns. The hood hinges and latch were originally phosphate but most use the Detail gray for a close match. Most Mustand vendors will carry the special power steering pump blue and use the slop gray for the long shock tower to firewall bracesas well as the hood latch support bracket. If your going to do all this I would definitely paint the Edelbrock Ford blue. Hope this helps.

Barry

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Barry, I was looking through the Pic's section and thats one fine Eliminator you got there very SWEET!!!

What is slop gray??

·
Registered
109 Posts
Scott,

slop gray is a mixture of paints they had leftover at the factory. They tried to use up everything they could. It is also called batch gray. Your upper front shock brackets were also phosphate but here again most people do the detail gray. Thanks for the compliment.

Barry

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Scott, never done a edlebrock blue but the previous owner done my offy blue. I'll try to attach pic. Someone tell me if light blue is correct for 69. My brothers 69 m code mach 1 is dark blue, are mercs supposed to be light blue?

Attachments

·
Banned
4,754 Posts
color

Catz the correct engine color for 66 up is Ford corporate blue which is dark blue similar to tremclad blue.You can buy the right color from Ford.The Semi gloss blk is Satin blk Plasticote # T8.The old ford blue is incorrect and was for 64 or so valve covers.Very annoying that mfgs say old cause its missleading.The rest of the info supplied is correct as far as I know.The gray was topcoated with the blk also called chassis blk.Remember its not flat or glossy but Satin.I bead blast my hinges,latch and shock brackets and then semi gloss clearcoat for a natural finish.Catz ya

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Ahhh, yes. The old paint question...

I've been playing with my amateur restorations for almost twenty years now. I've tried just about everything to get the 'right' look in my engine bay.
I started out with plain old gloss black enamel, but of course that was too glossy.
I then tried adding some flattening agent to the paint and that gave a satisfactory result but was lacking in durability.
Then I decided to try a Rustoleum gloss black, again with a flattening agent but that looked like ca-ca.
At one time PPG/Ditzler made a pre-mixed ready-to-spray Cassis Black, but I haven't seen that stuff in years.
Now I just stick with the PPG black epoxy primer.

For the engine paints, I have pretty much stuck with NAPA's Ford Corporate Blue. I have seen some other maker's paint that is either too light or too dark. The NAPA paint matches my wife's 70 Mach 1 engine paint exactly (her car is a 21K original mile car). Any 'natural' finish parts under the hood were phosphated from the factory, and that look can be achieved with paints from Eastwood. On my cars that still run headers, I use Eastwoods high-temp stainless steel coating. This was applied after all factory paint was removed and the headers glass beaded. My headers still have no rust after almost fifteen years!

I haven't had the need to paint my P/S pump, but I would again use Eastwoods paint.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Thanks Ray, I didnt think light blue was right but I have had more important work to do on my car to worry about it right now. Hopefully the tired old 69 motor is coming out this fall and a new stroker motor will take its place and I'll get the color right then. I'm still finding all kinds of things not right on my car and can't belive a regional director of the ccoa would have had it so screwed up. ( I guess that the reason I wont join the ccoa)

·
Banned
4,754 Posts
MM I wouldn't hold the whole cougar community hostage over one persons inability to fix one up.Many people have different ideas on what is correct.I say anyone can do it wrong but takes a real genius to get it right.Some puritans may think a stroker engine is sacrelige so careful on the ice.Rarely do the right parts get back onto these cars and even some "professionals" have difficulty gettin it right.Sounds like your car is doing better by you than by previous owners.Carry on :)

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Ray, I dont hold everyone responsable, and I didnt mean it that way. Mine is too far gone to ever be compleatly correct so I will try to keep it mostly correct. I did not go out on thin ice with the stroker motor, I plan to put the 69 motor in the corner so I can always put it back in. I just want to be able to kick a few bowties around for now.

·
Banned
4,754 Posts
bowtie kickin'

MM well bowtie kickin is a fun sport for all with a no holds barred attitude as well.I started in the Cougar game intending to flat black my Cougar and do some kikin as well.After a while I ended up restoring the car and racing was done at the trac.We ran a 70 cat with 351C and finished high for the years we did race.That was back in 1990.The parts car for the race car was my purple XR7 that you may have seen on theweb.After seeing the parts the guys were trashing on the trac I went to see the donor car which is where I got the Cougar rescued from the crusher.Now its VERY rare and I have the video tape of the original sheetmateal being smashed onthe trac.Those were fun times and always beatin the bowtiers.Thanks for the memories.:D

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
PPG Ford Engine Blue......... DAR-13358
Underhood black........Ford accent Black DAR-9295 (I think)
Both Enamels.... Not spray-bomb stuff, must be sprayed from a gun.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts