Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two different Ford blues on my 351C 2V (1973) - the valve covers and canister are light blue and the air cleaner is dark blue. Which is correct or are both correct? I've looked at different paint sites and some say light blue and some say dark blue is okay.

I'm trying to clean up the mess under my hood. Any place I can find a listing of colors?

Thanks.

·
Registered
980 Posts
On my '70 XR7 351 4v engine...I came up against the same thing..then while standing there trying to decide on which one, I noticed that the shelves were marked "old ford" and "new ford"...the old Ford was the lighter blue. So, that is what I went with, not sure if it is correct or not, but what the heck,it looks nice.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
I think that's bassackwards Jay.....old ford blue is darker and correct for our cars..... It's hard to tell unless they are sitting side by side - then it's pretty obvious. I like the lighter one personally......

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
As stated above, the darker shade is correct for '67-'73 Ford Corporate Blue engine paint.

Duplicolor Dark Ford Blue (#1606), Krylon Dark Ford Blue (#1923), and Plastikote Royal Blue (#1134) are all acceptably close.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I went with the Krylon Dark Ford Blue on my 1970 Cougar and was pleased with the finished color.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I have yet to score on a good match for my 67. VHT SP138 from 1995 or so was close enough back in the day. The cans went bad so I purchased a new can of the same PN and its not even close, it's way to dark. They have no real technical support BTW so F them. I just got a can of Duplicolor Dark Ford Blue (#1606) and its a no go. It it has a purple hue to it. I guess I'll try Krylon Dark Ford Blue (#1923), and Plastikote Royal Blue (#1134) and see how they look. Its much more critical when your not painting everything. I just want to do some small touch ups and I want to replace the Tstat housing. Also keep in mind my cat only has 32K on it and has been garaged since new so the paint should be very close original color.

Bill

·
Registered
200 Posts
This is how my Krylon dark ford blue turned out if this helps anyone....

·
11,000 Posts
That is the right color. It fades to a very pale blue if it comes into contact with anti freeze or oil.

This is how my Krylon dark ford blue turned out if this helps anyone....

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Por-15 also makes a ford corporate blue in an engine paint has held up reasonably well...

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Another winter project....ha ha ha! I like the darker blue anyways. Thanks all

BW; the light Ford blue I bought was from Mustangs Unlimited, but Eastwood also has both colors. I'll probably try Eastwood's dark blue for the air cleaner.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here is the canister painted the light blue

Attachments

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
As stated above, the darker shade is correct for '67-'73 Ford Corporate Blue engine paint.

Duplicolor Dark Ford Blue (#1606), Krylon Dark Ford Blue (#1923), and Plastikote Royal Blue (#1134) are all acceptably close.
Plastikote 224 is a very good match.

·
11,000 Posts
The light blue you bought from Mustangs Unlimited is for the 1964 1/2 Mustang 260 engine. It is incorrect for anything after 1965 model year.

Another winter project....ha ha ha! I like the darker blue anyways. Thanks all

BW; the light Ford blue I bought was from Mustangs Unlimited, but Eastwood also has both colors. I'll probably try Eastwood's dark blue for the air cleaner.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Royce, thank you for posting that ad, it's great!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts