Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everytime I pop the hood I'm disgusted by the accumulated filth everywhere. No my engine isn't full of chrome and other shiny things but I would like to get in there with some soap and water and scrub everything clean.

I'll pick up some various scrub brushes and go to work on it some weekend. I'm wondering if there are some cleaning juices to aid in the dirt and grime removal without causing harm to the parts and pieces.

·
Registered
127 Posts
On my truck I used to use Simple Green and Armor All. It shined everything up real nice, although I think my Cat's engine may be beyond the simple task of such an easy cleaning. Maybe a steam cleaner?

·
Registered
433 Posts
Back when I was a detailer, we used fromic acid on the really nasty trade ins. Usually this was for the wheels though. Don't let it stay on long though.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Simple Green is a great cleaner/degreaser, but it will remove paint and eat aluminum if left on too long. I also use S100 cleaner. It's a "spray on-spray off cleaner", no scrubbing required which is great for the tight spots and it's also biodegradable. I started using it on my old Sportster years ago and it is great! Even removed the lube from the chain. I especially liked it on my Softtail because there were so many small places that grease and road grime collected. I used to get it from the local Harley dealer, but I believe you can get it at Walmart or Kmart nowadays.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Cleaner

I use a purple cleaner made by Castrol, forget the name, that I get at Wal Mart. One thing about it though, wear gloves. I cleaned my engine and tranny (when they were out of the car) and went a week before any body oils appeared on my hands. Using that with some old toothbrushes and small brass brushes gets everything off. I then have my hose ready and spray the parts using a fine mist while brushing over the parts I just cleaned to get the soapy cleaner residue off.
If the engine is staying in the car, have some rags ready to sop-up (Southern Maryland talk) the water from the recesses of the engine.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I've been thinking about doing that myself. I have a pressure washer type thing that works extremely well on most surfaces, and I'm hoping to put it to good use on the engine. I need a "spray on-spray off cleaner" that I spray on the engine and then pressure wash clean.

Has anyone done this? What would you recommend? Thanks.

Sly

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
DO NOT use the castrol purple cleaner to clean an engine still in the car!!!! The stuff is bad for your cars paint!! Read the instructions!! The stuff is good for cleaning my garage floor.

Dont they still make plain ole Gunk engine cleaner? Used to work for me.mm

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Yep, Gunk is still around but you have to be careful because it has to be used on a warm (not hot) engine, it has fumes and is not biodegradeable. I like the S100 because it has no fumes, will not hurt the paint and you spray it on (it's in a pump bottle like Windex) let it set for a minute or two and then spray it off with a regular garden hose until it stops "sudsing". Won't even hurt the grass.
I still use Gunk for heavy projects, but for cleaning regular daily driver grime I prefer the S100.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Dang, I just realized that I sound like a bleedin' salesman for the stuff. :p:

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys! :)

I think I'll give the Simple Green a shot and If I see some S100 i'll think about adding a bottle to my cleaning supplies.

·
Premium Member
1,915 Posts
Super Clean

Is the "purple stuff" It is really harsh on metal stuff. Do not use w/o water or dilute a lot! I have had many parts get ruined because of the caustic chemicals in Super Clean. It works on things like the Garage floor but be careful not to leave on too long, on Metal parts! My 2 cents.
Oh, I use Simple Green for most everything, and Fantastik Orange cleaner on the Interior works like charm and smells good too.

·
Registered
794 Posts
My favorite is a tub of the GOOP hand cleaner. Brush it on with a stiff brush and the grease flys off. It's safe and doesnt matter if it drips on your face while you are under there scrubbing.
(it was all over my head while I cleaned the underside of my 67)

the good old fashion highly toxic Gunk works wonders too. I have used it on a cold engine and suspension parts.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
GOOP!

That's right. I forgot all about good old Goop. I used to use it to clean parts that had an enormous amount of built up grease and goo. Cleans your hands at the same time!
I never thought of the Orange stuff. My wife uses it in the house, I'll have to liberate a bottle for the garage.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Cleaner

When I've used the Purple stuff, the engine and tranny were out of the car. I would never use something like that around the body. I also washed it off twice as soon as I was done brushing it in. Once to clean the dirt off, then again to get any soapy residue off. Also, I have never seen it clean off the underlying paint, but tha may be because I don't let it soak in for too long.
For cleaning my engine now that it is in the car, I use mild cleaners like Fantastik or Formula 409.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Here's one I found to be useful. The hand cleaner Goop or other such subatance works really good on plastics and hoses, while my hands are covered in the stuff I'll take a minute to rub down something in the engine compartment it wipes off clean.

·
Registered
794 Posts
evilmess said:
Everytime I pop the hood I'm disgusted by the accumulated filth everywhere.

thats what I thought a first, and as you can see it got a bit out of hand. I started with an idea to just clean it up a bit, and when it looked like ass after I was done cleaning I stripped it down....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts