Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 68 Cougar that I bought with a 1974 351W just sitting on the mounts, orig 302 is long gone. The car was in a barn for 20 years and the old man that owned it told me that the engine has around 30k miles. The plugs are still in it and rags shoved in all open holes. I also have a 5.0 from a 92 pickup (roller lifters). Going to run a carb, and I have the front cover, oil pan etc. to use with it.
What engine do you prefer...and why.

·
Registered
913 Posts
What are your plans for the car, are you just going to tool around town, or some serious hot rodding? The 302 roller is lighter but less cubic in. better gas mileage. A 74 351 will take some serious work to make a performer out of it. On the other hand, the 92 motor wasn't all that great either.

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
With either engine being 'unknowns', I'd tear them down for a rebuild anyway.

Now you have to ask yourself some serious questions. What do you intend to do with this car? how much are you going to adhere to stock vs restomod. If it was a rare car to begin with, you wouldn't want to hurt the value by messing with it (doubtful since it was a 302 car).

So... If you want a neck-snapper, stroke the 351W to 408 inches with a retrofit roller cam, aftermarket intake, Holley, aftermarket heads and headers. Very easy to get 450+ horsepower.

If, on the other hand, you enjoy start it and forget it reliability and better gas mileage, go with an EFI 5.0. Heck, scrap that '92 truck motor and find a 96 Explorer 5.0. Do a stock rebuild on that motor and have 225hp and 20mpg - even more if you use the overdrive automatic (either AOD or 4R70W).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, plans are somewhere in the middle. I have 2 neck snappers allready, but I am not one of those that wants to ride in the fast lane at 55 with the blinker on. Really just a street cruiser that is not too lazy. The car is not rare and I am a restomod kind of guy so good driveability with a little guts, wife likes it and claims it her "build this one for me" car. I would love to have an Explorer or Mustang motor, but need to play with what I have. Any ideas will be appreciated. All of my cars are Chevys, but don't hold that against me. I am a car guy with much more Chevy experience than Ford. This just was such a nice car I could not walk away so I bought it.

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
My vote is for the W, ore cubes built in. H/C/I, and then gears to match....Plenty for the wife, unless she is already driving a 12 second car....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts