Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to break-in my engine after a major overhaul. The engine(390) and tranny(C6) are installed but I have not run my tranny coolant lines yet. Also I have not added any transmission fluid to the tranny, just one quart required for the torque converter installation. The car will not be put in gear during break-in. Will this be a problem, like will this fry the transmission, or do I need to run the lines and add the required amount of tranny fluid before break-in?

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
You really need to have known good circulation of trans fluid, I wouldn't take the chance. You should pour a few quarts int the converter before you install it to help get the pump filled quickly. Fill the trans up to the correct level and look for leaks of any kind when you fire things up. Check that your trans lines are flowing once you get things running smooth.....don't forget the ZDDP/Zinc additive in you motor too.....protect that new cam. got pics to share yet? ;>) Love the smell of fresh burning paint!

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You really need to have known good circulation of trans fluid, I wouldn't take the chance. You should pour a few quarts int the converter before you install it to help get the pump filled quickly. Fill the trans up to the correct level and look for leaks of any kind when you fire things up. Check that your trans lines are flowing once you get things running smooth.....don't forget the ZDDP/Zinc additive in you motor too.....protect that new cam. got pics to share yet? ;>) Love the smell of fresh burning paint!
Yeah. Thats what I thought. I will have to install the lines and add fluid prior to fire up. 12 quarts for a C6? Have pictures soon.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts