Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody know if the engine block plates for a 427 GTE have been reproduced? The passenger side is the same as for a 390/428 (which has been reproduced) but the driver's side is different (as shown in the photo I attached), due to the side oiler passage on the 427. I know that something could be improvised, but I would like the correct replacement part, if they are available for purchase somewhere.
427 and 390-428 Engine Block Plates 1968.jpg
427 and 390-428 Engine Block Plates 1968.jpg

·
Super Moderator
11,005 Posts
Does anybody know if the engine block plates for a 427 GTE have been reproduced? The passenger side is the same as for a 390/428 (which has been reproduced) but the driver's side is different (as shown in the photo I attached), due to the side oiler passage on the 427. I know that something could be improvised, but I would like the correct replacement part, if they are available for purchase somewhere. View attachment 117592 View attachment 117592
No they have not been reproduced. You can make one by welding up the top hole, then trim the part to clear the side oil passage. Then drill the third hole in the new position .

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you, Royce. That is what I was thinking. I guess that if the weld is done right, then there would be no stress/strength worries.

I am kind of suprised that these have not been reproduced, what with all of the new 427 blocks people have been putting into Mustangs. Correct me if I am wrong, but I think that Cougars and Mustangs share the same motor mounts. And most of the repro 427 blocks copied that side oiler passage that necessitates the special block plate.

·
Super Moderator
11,005 Posts
Seems like there would be a market for them. But easy enough to modify the existing one if you own a MIG welder.

Thank you, Royce. That is what I was thinking. I guess that if the weld is done right, then there would be no stress/strength worries.

I am kind of suprised that these have not been reproduced, what with all of the new 427 blocks people have been putting into Mustangs. Correct me if I am wrong, but I think that Cougars and Mustangs share the same motor mounts. And most of the repro 427 blocks copied that side oiler passage that necessitates the special block plate.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts