Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ware can i find out what chalk marks to put on a 68 std w/ 302. the engine bay is being soda blasted monday and will probaly be painted next week. im going this far why stop at a few marks and decales.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
I am not aware of any chalk markings in the engine bay, only elsewhere on the body, suspension parts, etc.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Cammok5, I found an E, 93 & M on the front of the radiator core support of my car. Now, I'm not saying your car will have the same things as my car, but if you have the front of the radiator core support soda blasted also you may find some markings there. On my car, my buck tag had the same things on it. The letter M matches the paint code for my car (Polar White), the 93 is in my VIN which would be for an XR-7 & according to The Cougar & Mustang Tagbook, the letter E (actually, the letter A-E was used) was used for an internal plant code use only. John

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Cammok5, I found an E, 93 & M on the front of the radiator core support of my car. Now, I'm not saying your car will have the same things as my car, but if you have the front of the radiator core support soda blasted also you may find some markings there. On my car, my buck tag had the same things on it. The letter M matches the paint code for my car (Polar White), the 93 is in my VIN which would be for an XR-7 & according to The Cougar & Mustang Tagbook, the letter E (actually, the letter A-E was used) was used for an internal plant code use only. John
My rad support (on the outside, not engine bay side, consistent with my previous comment) had a B on the PS bottom corner for the maroon paint, and a yellow splotch of paint on the DS bottom corner which I believe is consistent with the yellow marks on the steering linkage indicating power steering.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
C5, did your car come with power or manual steering? On my previous comment, I have some photos in my album showing the markings to my car. John

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
My rad support (on the outside, not engine bay side, consistent with my previous comment) had a B on the PS bottom corner for the maroon paint, and a yellow splotch of paint on the DS bottom corner which I believe is consistent with the yellow marks on the steering linkage indicating power steering.
I agree about the yellow splotch also . Wait, wasn't I the one who suggested that's what it stood for on post #853 of your ECI thread.:1poke:

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
I agree about the yellow splotch also . Wait, wasn't I the one who suggested that's what it stood for on post #853 of your ECI thread.:1poke:
Jeez, you can't expect an old guy to remember everything!

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
it has power steering. the only mark i found was a ok on the top of the core suport. i just thout there mite be more. i guse i need to find out what decales go on it but that can wait till it all back together

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
C5 thanks for the info, my car has PSing also and my centerlink and pitman arm have a yellow paint daub on them. If you would like to see photos of them, PM me with an e-mail address. John

1 - 9 of 9 Posts