Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK I have a 1967 coug with a 289 eng. A buddy of mine sold me his heads 4bbl intake headers and cam from his 85 mustang 302 which is a roller cam eng. My question is what would I need to do to the heads to get them on my 289? Right now im just wont to put the heads on with the intake and the headers. Any info would be helpful.

Mike

·
Registered
10 Posts
engine

heads should bolt right up but you need to compare the combustion chamber size and figure compression ratio over about 10.0 to will require gas over 93 octane. roller cam will work with mods, have it done right. have fun

matt

·
11,000 Posts
Head swap

Your 1967 289 heads are superior from a performance standpoint although they are probably in need of a rebuild if they are untouched from the factory. The 1985 heads offer no performance advantage and have different size accessory bolt holes and smog passages that interfere with good exhaust flow. Due to the much larger combustion chamber on the late 302 heads a big drop in compression will result, hurting performance significantly on a 289.

The roller cam is a real weenie in a 1985 GT and you would not see any performance gains by converting your engine to a roller cam and then using a puny cam such as this.

The headers for a 1985 Mustang won't fit the Cougar unless you convert to rack and pinion steering and hack away the frame for clearance. Won't work at all, not even close.

I recommend you buy a set of headers designed to fit your car. Used ones are available at swap meets for $25 - $50.00 usually. Anything that fits a 65 - 70 Mustang fits your car. The tri - Y design headers are great for the street and sell for about $119.00 new or $200.00 for nickel plated ones. All the stuff your "friend" sold you is useless for your car.

Royce Peterson

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
The truth hurts sometimes. Should have asked the questions first. If hes really a buddy maybe you can get your money back. mm

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well I guess I should have done my homework first. thanks for all the help people. all I gotta say right now is that sucks :(

1 - 5 of 5 Posts